Mexican Caesar Salad is a fun, flavorful twist on your ordinary caesar salad recipe.
This salad has all the elements of a good classic Caesar Salad but with a latin twist! The addition of an Anaheim chili, cotija cheese, cilantro and pepitas gives it a definite Mexican flare!
I love to serve it over romaine lettuce but you can use, Iceberg, Spinach, Kale or even use it on a Wedge Salad.
- Anaheim Chili. This is a fairly mild chili but feel free to substitute with a hotter chili if you prefer.
- Cotija Cheese. This is a Mexican cheese that is crumbly and slightly salty.
- Pepitas. Also known as pumpkin seeds, I prefer roasted or toasted sunflower seeds. To roast yourself, put them in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir or shake pan as they burn easily. In a few minutes they will start to pop and puff up and then they are roasted.
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Mexican Caesar Dressing
- Place all salad dressing ingredients except for cilantro into a food processor.
- Pulse to blend together.
- Add in cilantro and pulse again.
- In a bowl combine mayonnaise and water, stir to combine.
- Add in mixture from food processor and stir to combine.
This dressing is delicious on any kind of salad. Just keep it in a jar in your refrigerator. I rarely buy store bought dressing because homemade dressing is just so easy to make and so much better.
How to Make Mexican Caesar Salad
- Place cut or torn lettuce into a large bowl.
- Add salad dressing and toss to coat.Top with tomato, sliced avocado, more pepitas, bacon and/or tortilla strips.
What to Serve Caesar Salad With?
This salad is delicious with just about anything but we particularly like it served with:
- Mexican Lasagna
- Beef Barbacoa
- Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Enchilada Casserole
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
If you are looking for a more traditional Caesar salad be sure and try this recipe for Caesar Salad Dressing. We love to serve it on this Grilled Caesar Salad. This Chicken Caesar Salad Flatbread is a fun twist on the classic salad.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Mexican Caesar Salad Recipe
Mexican Caesar Salad
- 1 medium Anaheim chili
- 1/3 cup roasted pepitas green pumpkin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbsp Cotija cheese Mexican cheese
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Garnish with bacon, tomato, pepitas, Parmesan cheese, dried bananas
- If you can not find roasted pepitas you can roast your own in a dry pan. Just heat them, stirring often, until they begin to puff and pop. They are then roasted.
- Place chili, pepitas, garlic, pepper, salt, olive oil, vinegar and cheese into food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add in cilantro and pulse some more.
- In another bowl combine mayo and water and mix until smooth. Add in cilantro mixture.
- Serve over wedge of Iceberg lettuce.
- Top with bacon, tomato, pepitas, Parmesan cheese and dried bananas
Originally published Sept 21, 2012
Leave a Review