I love a good wedge salad, but am not a fan of blue cheese. So recently I made Mexican Caesar dressing recipe that a blog reader had sent me. and that is how this delicious Mexican Caesar Salad recipe was created.
For the dressing I used an Anaheim chili, pumpkin seeds, garlic, cotija cheese, cilantro and mayo. I mixed that, along with some salt, pepper and olive oil. I purchased my roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) from Trader Joes. If you can only find the pepitas raw you can roast them yourself. Just put them in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir or shake them as they will burn easily. In just a few minutes they will start to pop and puff up and then they are roasted.
I just blended the ingedients up in my food processor.
And then add in the cilantro.
This dressing is delicious on any kind of salad. Just keep it in a jar in your refrigerator. I rarely buy store bought dressing because homemade dressing is just so easy to make and so much better.
Cut your head of iceberg lettuce into 8 wedges. Place your wedges on a plate and then add your toppings. In addition to homemade dressing, I topped Mexican Caesar salad with fresh tomatoes from the garden, bacon, Parmesan cheese and more pepitas.
Jim and I just dig into the same piece and share. Make sure you get plenty of the toppings as they do tend to fall of the wedge and puddle around the bottom but that is half the fun making sure you get a little bit of each flavor on your fork.
Mexican Caesar Salad Recipe
Mexican Caesar Salad
- 1 medium Anaheim chili
- 1/3 C roasted pepitas green pumpkin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C olive oil
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbsp Cotija cheese Mexican cheese
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 1/4 C water
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce
- Toppings: bacon tomato, pepitas, Parmesan cheese, dried bananas
- If you can not find roasted pepitas you can roast your own in a dry pan. Just heat them, stirring often, until they begin to puff and pop. They are then roasted.
- Place chili, pepitas, garlic, pepper, salt, olive oil, vinegar and cheese into food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add in cilantro and pulse some more.
- In another bowl combine mayo and water and mix until smooth. Add in cilantro mixture.
- Serve over wedge of Iceberg lettuce.
- Top with bacon, tomato, pepitas, Parmesan cheese and dried bananas
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.