This homemade version of lemon chicken is as good, if not better, than the Chinese restaurant version.
I have been on a bit of a Chinese take out kick lately. I guess I am gearing up for the Chinese New Year which is the first part of February.
Since we don’t have a good Chinese restaurant close by where I can get take out I make my own!
One of our favorite Chinese take out meals is Mongolian Beef, it was one of my top posts from last year and if you haven’t tried it you really should.
Another favorite Chinese take out meal is lemon chicken. No surprise being the lemon lover I am!
I love the light breading and crisp coating covered in a lovely lemon sauce!
I dug out an old Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook I have had for 20 years or so and found this recipe.
The breading is a combination of egg and cornstarch so it is light and crispy – not heavy like some breadings can be. I am not a fan of heavily breaded foods.
Add a garnish of chopped green onions, a few lemon slices and a bed of rice and you have a pretty and delicious meal! Just as good as any Chinese take out.
You do not need to use a wok to make great Chinese food. I used my cast iron skillet for this recipe and it turned out great.
Do you have a favorite chinese takeout dish you like to make at home?
Happy Chinese New Year (early!)
Note: I halved this recipe for our reduced size family and had enough for two meals!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 C water
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 3 C vegetable oil
- 4 green onions sliced
- Lemon Sauce
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- Slice chicken breasts in half and gently pound to flatten
- Combine cornstarch, salt and pepper into a bowl and add in water and egg yolks
- Head oil in wok or frying pan (I used my cast iron skillet) Heat oil to about 375 degrees
- Dip chicken into cornstarch mixture, covering both sides lightly
- Fry chicken in oil until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes
- Drain on paper towel
- Keep warm while you finish cooking chicken
- Cut each piece of chicken into serving pieces and place on serving platter
- Cover with sauce and sprinkle with chopped green onion
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and stir until well blended
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens
- About 5 minutes
- Pour over chicken
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!