Jalapeno Poppers are stuffed with a creamy cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon and topped with a BBQ sauce. They are a definite crowd pleaser and add a fun little kick to your party!
I am typically not a pepper fan and tend to shy away from anything too spicy. After I got up the courage to try a jalapeno popper at a party, I was excited to discover I liked them!
The spiciness level will vary according to your peppers, but a jalapeno is typically a pretty mild pepper and the addition of the cheese mixture, bacon and BBQ sauce help lower the heat level.
How can anything wrapped in bacon not be delicious!?
Add a Little Kick to Your Party
The crowd that really liked them were the men! Jalapeno Poppers are definitely a man pleasing food! They may be a little bit of work to make but your guests are going to thank you .
How to Make Jalapeno Poppers
- Be sure to wash your hands well after handling jalapenos and don’t touch your eyes or face while working with them. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to wear gloves when working with peppers. If you don’t have gloves, I have put plastic sandwich bags over my hands while cutting and cleaning the peppers.
- Cut the peppers in half, leave the stems on and clean out the seeds. The heat is in the seeds so if you want extra heat, leave some of the seeds in.
- Mix together cheese, softened cream cheese, green onion, cilantro and garlic powder.
- Mix together filling and stuff each pepper with a tablespoon or so of filling. You want the filling to be even with the top of the pepper.
- Wrap each half of a pepper in a half slice of bacon. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon. To shorten the baking time of the poppers, precook the bacon, cooking it about half way and then wrap around the pepper. This allows the bacon to get nice and crisp and not overcook the pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes or until bacon is crispy and cheese is melted. Precooking the bacon will speed up this process. Without precooking the bacon they may take up to an hour to bake.
I serve them with a bowl of BBQ sauce for dipping but they are also delicious served with some Ranch dressing for dipping.
Can I Make Jalapeno Poppers Ahead of Time?
You can make them the morning of the party, up to eight hours ahead of time. Fill and wrap the peppers and then cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
[eno poppers” src=”https://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-popper-recipe-2.jpg” alt=”jalapeno poppers with BBq sauce” width=”1000″ height=”1501″ data-pin-description=”Jalapeno Poppers are stuffed with a creamy cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon and topped with a BBQ sauce. They are a definite crowd pleaser and add a fun little kick to your party! #wrappedinbacon #baked #easy #creamcheese #recipe #pioneerwoman” data-pin-id=”Jalapeno Poppers are stuffed with a creamy cheese mixture, wrapped in bacon and topped with a BBQ sauce. They are a definite crowd pleaser and add a fun little kick to your party! #wrappedinbacon #baked #easy #creamcheese #recipe #pioneerwoman” />
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Some other delicious appetizers:
Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 18 jalapenos
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 18 slices thin bacon cut into halves
- BBQ sauce
- rubber gloves.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise (wear gloves) . I like to keep the stems on the peppers as they look prettier that way.
- With a spoon, scrape out the seeds and light colored membranes
- Remember: the heat comes from the seeds and the membranes so if you can handle the heat, leave some of them intact.
- In a bowl combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and chopped green onion and mix together
- Stuff the hollowed out pepper half with the cream cheese mixture. make sure filling is even with top of pepper.
- Wrap bacon slices around each half, covering as much of the surface as you can. You can precook the bacon about half way for crisper bacon and to shorten the cooking time.
- Secure the bacon with toothpicks and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour if you haven't precooked bacon or 20-30 minutes if bacon is precooked.
- Brush lightly with BBQ sauce and serve with additional sauce for dipping.
- Serve hot or at room temperature
If you’ve tried these Jalapeno Poppers or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.