Jalapeno Cornbread is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. It is the perfect side dish for your favorite soup or chili.
A lot of cornbread recipes come out dry but not this one. This Jalapeno Cornbread is moist, tender and fluffy! It also has the perfect amount of sweetness to it thanks to the honey. It is not one of those overly sweet cornbread recipes that tastes like you are eating dessert, not that that is necessary a bad thing. The addition of jalapenos also balances out the sweetness of the cornbread.
Jalapeno Cornbread Ingredients
- Chilies – the recipe calls for jalapenos and I use a fresh jalapeno. I have also made it with canned green chilies which still gives it great flavor without any heat.
- Cornmeal – you can find this on the baking aisle of the grocery store.
- Baking Powder – yes, the recipe uses 2 Tbsp. This is what gives the cornbread it’s “lift.”
- Milk – I used 2 percent but use what you have on hand. You can even use buttermilk if you have it.
- Cheese – I usually use Cheddar cheese but you can use pepper jack, Colby or a Mexican Blend of cheese.
- Green Onions – instead of of green onions you can also use chives.
How to Make Jalapeno Cornbread
- Pan I like to use a 9 x 13 glass pan. You can use a smaller or larger pan but the thickness of your cornbread will change and you will need to adjust your baking time to accommodate the change in pan size. Be sure and grease your pan well.
- Combine ingredients. Put your dry ingredients together in a bowl and then your wet ingredients in another bowl. Pour your wet into your dry.
- Don’t overmix Mix just enough to incorporate the ingredients. Overmixing can cause your cornbread to be tough. I mix this by hand instead of using an electric mixer.
- After combining the ingredients, pour them into a grease pan and then top with additional cheese and green onions. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes until cornbread is cooked through and cheese is melted on top. Serve warm with butter.
I love my cornbread warm, fresh out of the oven but this cornbread is also delicious served room temperature. You can serve it with butter but it is so tender and moist it really doesn’t need it.
Jalapeño Cornbread makes the perfect side dish for Chili. Check out a few of my favorite chili recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs extra large, lightly beaten
- 1 cup butter melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 4 cups Cheddar cheese grated, divided
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish
- 2-3 Tbsp. jalapeños seeded and minced
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved Don’t overmix!
- Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the green onions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped green onions.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool and cut into squares
- Serve warm or at room temperature