These cream cheese muffins are filled with a lightly sweetened cream cheese mixture and topped with a crunchy sweet golden streusel topping. I love to serve them warm out of the oven with a little bit of jam on them.
The first time I made these cream cheese muffins I learned a lesson – you must use cupcake liners with this recipe. If you don’t, your streusel topping sticks to the pan and it’s almost impossible to get them out of the pan without totally destroying them. So although they tasted great the first time I made them they weren’t too pretty. My family didn’t complain though when I had to make them again so I could get some good photos!
Cream Cheese. Use softened cream cheese and combine with sugar.
Muffin Mixture. Mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients separately. Combine and stir until just combined. Over stirring muffin batter makes your muffins tough. Take half of cream cheese mixture and fold it into the batter.
Muffins. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill each liner 2/3 full. I love using this scoop for evenly sized muffins.
Cream Cheese Filling. Place a scoop, about 1 Tablespoon, of cream cheese filling on top of each muffin and use the back of a spoon to push it down into the batter.
Streusel Topping. Use softened butter and combine with flour and sugar. I usually just use my fingers to rub the ingredients together until small little pebbles of streusel are formed. Sprinkle generously ovewr the muffins. The more streusel topping the better.
Bake. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until the streusel is nice and golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Serve warm if possible.
There is so much great texture going on with these muffins, a tender muffin, creamy filling and a crunch topping. When you bite into the muffin it is fun to discover a pocket of nice, yummy cream cheese.
How Long Will Muffins Last?
Not very long! They have tendency to disappear fast around our house but if you do find yourself with a few leftovers they will last 2-3 days refrigerated and unrefrigerated they will last 1-2 days.
Looking for other treats?
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Brownies
- Lemon Pull Apart Rolls
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Cream Cheese Muffins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Mix together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- In another bowl stir together milk, oil, and eggs
- Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients
- Stir until just moistened and combined. Don't over stir
- Combine cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar
- Gently mix half of the cream cheese/sugar mixture into the muffin batter.
- Fill muffin tins about 1/2 to 2/3 full with batter
- Spoon the remaining half of the cream cheese mixture onto the muffins, about a tablespoon per muffin, then with the back of a spoon push the mixture into each muffin
- Combine ingredients
- Sprinkle generously over muffins batter.
- Bake 24 to 30 minutes until golden brown