Put the lime in the coconut… the song got it right. Coconut and Lime Sugar Cookies are a lovely combination!
I have to admit I am not a huge coconut fan. In fact, this may be one of the first recipes I have ever shared here on the blog that contains coconut. It is really the texture of coconut I don’t care for, not the taste. But I have to admit the coconut in these cookies gives them a nice, chewy texture.
Because the coconut is chopped up you don’t even taste the texture of the coconut in the cookie.
The coconut flavor is very subtle and the lime really shines through. So if you are not a coconut fan like me, gives these cookies a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor and the texture.
The dough is formed into balls and then rolled into sugar and baked. I love the crackle that forms as the cookie bakes.
Because for me you can never have too much lime I put a nice lime glaze on the top of these cookies for additional lime goodness. The lime zest adds great flavor and nice color.
I found that these cookies were even chewier the second day which is always a good thing in my book.
For some other lime loveliness check out these recipes:
Coconut Lime Sugar Cookie Recipe
Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar plus 1/3 cup for roling
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 C sweetened shredded coconut chopped fine
- 1 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 6 Tbsp butter melted and still warm
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- milk or cream to make spreading consistency
- Preheat ovedn to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, coconut, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- Put 1 1/2 C sugar, 1 tsp. lime zest and cream cheese in a bowl.
- Place remaining 1/3 C sugar in a flat dish or pie plate and set aside.
- Pour warm butter over sugar and cream cheese and mix together (there will be some small lumps)
- Whisk in oil.
- Add egg, milk, lime juice and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat and place on baking sheet.
- Use bottom of drinking glass to flatten dough balls until they are about 2 inches in diameter.
- Sprinkle tops evenly with sugar remaining in shallow dish.
- Bake one tray at a time for 11-13 minutes or until edges are set and just beginning to brown.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar, lime zest and milk until a nice spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies.