Chicken Soft Tacos with Salsa Cream Sauce are so easy to make and full of lots of great flavor. The cream sauce adds another flavor dimension to this easy family meal idea!
Tacos are a go to meal at our house. They were when I was a kid too except then they usually were made with a crispy shell, hamburger with taco seasoning mix and some grated cheese on top and a drizzle of ketchup! Although I still love a good basic taco like we ate when I was a kid, my taco palate has become a little more sophisticated. We have also become spoiled with so many great tacos food carts around Portland where we enjoy lots of yummy tacos on an almost weekly basis.
With two gluten free eaters in our family tacos are always a good dinner choice when they come in a corn tortilla.
You will want to marinate your chicken for at least ten minutes before you grill it. Just put your chicken breasts into a mixture of salsa, lime juice and vegetable oil. Next, mix up your cream sauce. You will want this to sit in the refrigerator while you grill the chicken. This will help to bring out the flavor.
I cooked the chicken along with the marinade in my cast iron pan. Oh, how I love that pan. As it cooks, the salsa will reduce and you want your chicken to get a little charred. It gives it more good flavor. Cook until chicken is cooked through and then thinly slice your chicken .
We always use corn tortillas at our house because they are gluten free but flour works great too. Pile on your chicken and then top with some chopped red onion, avocado, a sprinkle of cilantro and a nice generous drizzle of the yummy salsa cream sauce.
Then enjoy your dinner!
Chicken Soft Taco Recipe
Delicious grilled chicken soft tacos with a creamy salsa sauce.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 1 C salsa
- 2 limes for juice
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1/4 C plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 C cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- Avocado chopped
- Red Onion chopped
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 C salsa I use mild
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Place chicken into 1/2 C salsa along with juice of 1 lime and 1 Tbsp vegetable oil. Allow to marinade for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together 1/2 C salsa, greek yogurt and 2 Tbsp cilantro in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken along with the marinade and cook until slightly charred and cooked through.
- Remove from pan onto cutting board and cut into slices.
- Warm tortillas and add sliced chicken, diced avocado, red onion, cilantro and drizzle with salsa cream sauce.
- Mix all ingredients together and chill
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.