Soda Pop Ice Cream Recipe

soda pop ice creamFriday we flew to Utah for a nephew’s wedding.  It was  63 degrees in Portland when we boarded the plane.  Two hours later we got off the plane in Utah and it was 95 degrees.  We went from Spring to Summer in two hours!  It was a little bit of a shock to the system!!

95 degree weather calls for a cold soda and ice cream.  Today’s Soda Pop Ice Cream Recipe is a combination of the two – a cold soda and ice cream.   It may or may not get up to 95 degrees in Portland any time soon but we can still eat ice cream.

This ice cream recipe is super easy to make and only requires three ingredients.  Your favorite choice of soda pop, one can of sweetened condensed milk and a cup of whole milk.

I picked three of my favorite flavors of soda pop to experiment with.  My first, was of course, root beer.  It totally reminded me of the root beer swirls we use to get at The Spot Drive In in Kenosha, Wisconsin where the girls roller skated out to our car and hung the tray on the window!

And then I used orange for a yummy creamsicle flavor effect! One of my favorite flavors of all times.

And then I tried another of my favorite flavors – Black Cherry.  I loved it.

Black Cherry Soda Pop Ice Cream

Like I said, homemade ice cream doesn’t get much easier than Soda Pop Ice Cream.  Use 4 cups of your favorite soda.  Make sure your soda is cold, it will freeze a lot easier and your ice cream maker will not have to work as hard.

Mix the soda pop, sweetened condensed milk and whole milk together and pour it into your ice cream maker.  I use a 2 qt. Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.

After the ice cream is formed I put it in the freezer to hardened up.  This recipe makes a nice “icy” type of ice cream.  Love it!
So the next time your weather calls for a cold soda pop and ice cream give Soda Pop Ice Cream a try.  What flavor  will you try?

Soda Pop Ice Cream Recipe

• 4 C cold soda pop, any flavor
  • 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 C whole milk
  1. Mix all ingredients together and pour into 2 qt. ice cream maker.
  2. Freeze as directed
  3. Place in freezer after finished to harden up

: Chef in Training*Mommy by Day…Crafter by Night*Not Just a Housewife*Sugar Bee Crafts*Home Stories A2Z* Today’s Creative Blog**Lil Luna*Southern Lovely*Trendy Treehouse*Fireflies and Jellybeans*We Are that Family* Creations by Kara*Sugar and Dots*lollipops *

Comments

1. Megan says

I’m thinking grape soda would make a yummy ice cream — and probably grapefruit would, too. Your pictures make it look so refreshing! I’m curious, though… With 2 of the 3 ingredients being sugary, do you find it overly sweet at all?

I think grape soda would be yummy. I use to make grape ice cream sodas as a kid. It is sweet but isn’t ice cream suppose to be sweet? I think the icyness of it cuts the sweetness some.

Given all the sugar in the sweetened condensed milk not sure the substitution of diet soda is really worth it? What’s a little more sugar!? I have never tried it with diet.

2. greekgirl64 says

My husband’s family has been making Big Red ice cream every summer for over 50 years. It’s basically the same as the recipe you posted except they add a carton of frozen strawberries to the mix.

3. Juie Robbinson says

The ice cream idea is totally awesome. I will have to get an ice cream maker and try making it myself.

I don’t like drinking soda pop, but I’m pretty sure I would love it this way! Gonna have to go out and buy some just so I can try it. The orange looks the best to me. Reminds me of creamsicles, and I love those!

Kara, It totally tastes like a creamsicle which is one of my favorites. Hope you like it. The root beer is great too if you like root beer floats.

5. Kelsey Jo says

Yum!! Black cherry soda is one of my favorites, too. What brand do you use…I’m always looking to widen my black cherry horizons! :)

6. Beth Phillips says

I tried this with Big Red soda for a Fourth of July BBQ, and it didn’t work…maybe it’s because I used 2% milk instead of whole? Oh well. I’ll try it with the exact ingredients next time!

• Queena says

The fat from whole milk helps with the freezing processing, the better the ingredient the better the product.

7. Treva says

I tried the root beer but it didnt set up for me! I’m bummed it tastes amazing but just very runny. I’m going to try to put it back in once my bowl is frozen again. I was wondering if anyone else has tried half & half though. My store didn’t have small cartons of whole milk in so I used full fat half & half. I figured usually the more fat in the ice cream the better it tastes…unfortunately!

8. Aimee says

I heard of a very similar recipe. Cold orange pop, sweetened condensed milk and 8 oz crushed pineapple (drained)…no milk. Yup, I believe it’s time to break out the ice cream maker. Gonna try this one soon.Thanks for posting!

Just made this with Diet Dr. Pepper left over from a party. I also used half a cup of heavy cream and half a cup of whole milk instead of just whole milk (all the fat from the cream is okay cause I used diet soda right? LOL) and of course the sweetened condensed milk. I accidentally overfilled my ice cream maker because it’s only the 1 and a half quart machine by Cuisinart. So I ended up without about a cup of the mixture left. I stuck it in the fridge and sorta don’t know what to do with it…
    BUT the ice cream turned out fabulous!!! Great recipe. It’s a little different in texture from the normal ice cream you make, it’s a bit more icy/slushy. I ate some right away in a cup with a spoon (like a milkshake) and put the rest in the freezer to harden. I can’t wait to try it with other sodas, I think cream soda would be awesome.

10. Sandra says

I was making this ice cream 30 years ago. My favorite was orange pop with sweetened condensed milk and crushed pineapple, but all flavors of pop are good. Time to make it again.

11. Debbie B says

This sounds fantastic but I was wondering is there a way to make it without an ice cream maker since I don’t see me getting one anytime soon. The whole living on a budget thing but this would be a good splurge family night treat.

I have never made it without an ice cream maker. You could try partially freezing it and then beating it with a mixer a bit and then freezing it again but actually have no idea how it would turn out – sorry!!

• ElizabethF says

Debbie B – This is Soda Pop ice Cream is hugely popular in Hawaii. I don’t have an electric mixer or ice cream maker. When you’re doing by hand: 1. he trick is to slowly pour the soda into the milk because you need to keep the carbonated bubbles. 2. Then stir the mixture a few times. 3. Pour into freeze container for 1-1/2 – 2 hours. 4.take out of freezer. Mixture may have ice crystals. Don’t scrape it off. Take a spoon and mix enough times to incorporate a lot of air and the crystals. 5. Put back into freezer for 1-1/2 -2 hours. Then repeat step 5. You’ll keep repeating step for at least 8 hours. 24 hour is better. 6. When ready, it should be super smooth ice cream. Strawberry and orange are great!

My family always used Nehi Peach soda to make ice cream. I think I’m going to have to go get an ice cream maker and try your versions. :D

Oh, the recipe was 6 cans of cold soda and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk in the ice cream maker.

13. Cindy says

When I saw your recipe for Soda Pop Ice Cream, it brought back wonderful memories from my childhood. We had a recipe that we used then and we still use it today. Now, this goes way back to when Orange Crush came in the brown bottles (nothing tastes as good as it did when we were kids). I have adapted the recipe to today’s bottling of Orange Crush. This is made in an electric ice cream churn or a hand cranked one. One 2 liter Orange Crush, one can sweetened condensed milk, one small can crushed pineapple, (ice and rock salt for the churn). Put the Orange Crush, sweetened condensed milk, and pineapple in the churn; cover, add ice and rock salt and churn. Eat slowly because it causes brain freeze!