We are going a little cupcake crazy at our house.
After the fun cupcake capers Logan and I had together on his last visit home I decided to try out some new cupcake recipes.
I am helping a friend with her son’s wedding reception next week and they wanted to have a cupcake bar. She has put me in charge of selecting and planning the cupcake menu. I have also been helping with the decorations too and can’t wait to show you what we have planned!
Back to the cupcakes – my first step was to go to some of my favorite food blogs and gather together some recipes. Over at Real Mom Kitchen I found a recipe for Perfect Lemon Cupcakes. She had gotten the recipe from my friend Melanie over at My Kitchen Cafe!
These cupcakes were indeed perfect – lemon through and through. Lemon cake, lemon frosting – it doesn’t get any better! The cupcake starts with a boxed lemon cake mix but then is enhanced with some sour cream and pudding which makes for a very moist cupcake. The frosting, and it is all about the frosting, was super lemony too with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
Topped off with half a strawberry these lemon cupcakes were indeed perfect. They are a definite go for the wedding reception and they are so pretty!
We had a surprise Sweet Sixteen birthday party at our house this week so I decided a cupcake bar would be part of the party food and an excuse to experiment with more recipes for the wedding reception. We went with strawberry cupcakes and chocolate malted milk cupcakes for the party (we had a pink and black theme).
I’ll share pictures from the party and two more cupcake recipes on Monday!
I’m still in need of a few more cupcake recipes/flavors to add to the menu so if you have a favorite cupcake recipe please leave it in the comments or send it to me via the contact form – thanks!!
When you make these cupcakes you are going to want two of my favorite tools for working lemons:
- 1 package lemon cake mix
- 1 C sour cream
- ¾ C water
- ¾ C oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 small package lemon instant pudding
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, very soft
- 6-8 C powdered sugar
- ½ C fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients
- Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes
- Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick
- For cupcakes, bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I was able to get 24 very full cupcakes from the recipe).
- For regular cake, pour into a greased 9x11 pan or two round pans
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes
- Don't over bake or the cake will be too dry!
- The toothpick test works to check to see if they're done
- The original recipe said that the cupcakes will fall after they come out of the oven, but this is normal and to just fill up the indentation with more frosting
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl
- Add 4 cups of sugar, then the juice and the zest
- Beat until smooth and creamy
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (I added 6 cups total).
- Use and store at room temperature. (Don't refrigerate and it will last in a covered container for about three days.)
- Garnish with berries, if desired right before serving
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!