Orange Rolls

No lemon recipe today! I am keeping it in the citrus family though and we are just moving over to oranges!

Today’s recipe is a Wilkes Family Favorite. No holiday dinner (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas) would be complete without these. In fact, no dinner that Grandma comes to is complete without them – Orange Rolls.

This is my mother’s orange roll recipe and she is the designated orange roll maker in our family except when she’s not spending the holiday with us and then I get the job.

My parents spent Easter with my brother and his family so I got to make the orange rolls. The great thing about this recipe is that you mix the dough up the night before which helps a lot in the “day of” meal preparation.

The dough is refrigerated overnight and then just rolled out 4 hours before you want to bake them. I like to bake them as close to dinner as possible because like most bread it is the best warm out of the oven!

I make the rolls like a cinnamon roll – rolling out the dough into a rectangle, covering it with the lovely, buttery, sugary, orangey spread, rolling them up and then cutting them into circles using dental floss. I bake them in a muffin tin. You can make them like a crescent roll too! Get creative!

Aren’t they beautiful!

orange rolls (1)

Wouldn’t you like one!?

orange rolls (2)

But wait – it gets even better! After they are baked you ice them with a mixture of orange juice and powdered sugar. Even better!!

orange rolls (3)

At this point they taste a little bit more like dessert! Who doesn’t like dessert with their dinner?

Believe it or not one of my children doesn’t like the orange flavoring so grandma always makes a pan of rolls with no orange rind or juice in it – just for Clark! Since Clark was still away at college on Easter I made ALL of our rolls with orange!

Orange Rolls

Orange Rolls

• 2 packages yeast
  • 1/4 C warm water
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 C shortening
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 C hot water
  • 3 eggs, well beaten
  • 4 1/2 C flour
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/3 C butter
  • Glaze
  • juice and zest of an orange
  • powdered sugar

• Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
  • Combine 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 C shortening, 2 tsp salt into hot water and stir to dissolve. Cool.
  • Mix eggs and 1 cup flour well and add to sugar mixture.
  • Add yeast mixture and remaining flour.
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 4 hours before serving roll out like cinnamon rolls and spread with 1/3 C sugar and 1/3 C butter.
  • Roll up dough and slice about 1 inch thick.
  • Put in greased muffin tins and let rise 3-4 hours. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
  • Glaze
  • Combine juice of an orange and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze that you can spread or drizzle over the top of the rolls.

Comments

I love the dental floss for cutting and muffin pan for baking tips! We, too, enjoy orange rolls. However, I have baked them together in one rectangular pan. Your idea would make serving them much less “sticky”.

2. Tamara Reber says

Thanks again for another amazing recipe. When I get things unpacked, I have lots of fun recipes to try.

Mmm, I love orange rolls. I’ve never tried them in muffin tins though, but they sure look pretty that way. I’ll have to give it a try.

Those look amazing!!! I love orange rolls, but have never made them from scratch (only cinnamon rolls)! I will most certainly be giving these a try! I love the idea of baking them in the muffin tins — very clever!

I am so glad I decided to read my blogroll before I went to the grocery store! I am definitely making these this weekend. Thanks for a great recipe!

6. Mary Kathryn says

I was thinking along the lines of breakfast but then I would have to set my alarm to wake up early– I’ll do some more pondering but my hubby is bringing home an orange (the only ingredient I need) so they will be made sooner then later for whatever meal! :)

7. Cecily says

Making these for our Christmas morning jamboree. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be up really late on Christmas Eve anyway, so I think I’ll roll and cut them before I go to bed (late) and then they’ll rise and be ready to go when I head for the fam’s house on Christmas morning! I’ll cross my fingers. :D

8. Mary Kathryn says

About how many rolls does this recipe make? I made these when you first posted this but I can’t remember now. I am planning on taking them for our Easter get together with family and I am wondering if I should double the recipe. I have been such a late planner with these– I understand if you can’t get back to me till after the holidays. Thanks!

I made these this morning and they are delicious!!! I can’t wait until General Conference morning when I make your citrus cream cheese pull apart rolls again!

10. Kerry says

Is the filling supposed to have orange zest? I don’t see it listed in the ingredients anywhere.Thanks! These look so yummy!

1. [...] her friends what one recipe my mom is most known for, it would be her rolls.  Specifically her orange rolls.  Orange rolls are a must on our Easter table.  I do have a non-orange roll eater at my house and [...]