If you haven’t had a chance to enter the giveaway I have going on right now for a I-Pad Mini make sure you do!
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. I first shared it back in June of 2008. This one is so deserving of a pretty redo and I have given the recipe a little tweak.
June is strawberry season here in Portland and this year the strawberry crop has been awesome. Our own little strawberry patch in the garden has been producing like crazy and every morning I can go out and pick a bowl full. Because of that I’ve been able to make a lot of our strawberry favorites like that Strawberry Pizza I shared a few weeks ago and Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream.
When I first shared today’s recipe it had a graham cracker crust which is very yummy. This time though I used my Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial and made a pastry crust. They both are delicious and I’m not really sure which I prefer. You’ll have to try it both ways and let me know.
This particular strawberry pie has an added surprise in it – a delicious layer of cream cheese filling! This recipe is from my friend April and since she first brought it to a party at our house several years ago it has become a regularly requested pie around our house.
There are 3 steps to this pie. The crust, the glaze and the filling. It does need to chill for 3 hours so plan ahead.
I made the pastry crust according to the Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial and then baked the crust.
The next step is to fill it with the yummy whipping cream and cream cheese filling. So good, I could eat it just like this but adding the berries is even better.
Arrange whole berries on top of cream cheese mixture. Since the berries came from my garden they were not all perfect and uniform like the ones you may find in the story but they were so delicious!
Next you cover the strawberries with a glaze made from mashed strawberries, water, cornstarch and sugar.
Chill the pie for about 3 hours and then dig in!
This pie is a sure sign it is summer at our house. When my kids who aren’t living at home saw the photo on Instagram I got several comments that I had to make it again when they came home to visit! You won’t find any argument from me!
For other yummy strawberry desserts check out these:
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here.
- 1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs(this is one package of graham crackers)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1¼ C flour
- ¼ C butter
- ¼ C shortening
- pinch of salt
- ice cold water, add teaspoon by teaspoon until right consistency has formed
- 1 C strawberries, mashed
- 1 C sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ C water
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ C sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 C heavy cream, whipped
- 4 C whole strawberries
- Combine the above ingredients and press firmly into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool.
- Place flour, salt, butter and shortening in bowl.
- Use your hands to combine ingredients until small pebbles form
- Add cold water a teaspoon at a time until the dough begins to hold together and form a ball.
- Do not over handle the dough. Dough should be soft, moist but not wet.
- Place ball of dough onto wax paper and flatten. Place another piece of wax paper over the top and roll out the pastry into a circle. If your pie pan is 9 inch make sure your circle is bigger than 9 inches so you have enough for the edging..
- Remove the top layer of wax paper and place pastry into pie tin. Remove other piece of wax paper and press pastry into pan. Use your fingers to crimp the edge of the crust.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to firm up the pastry. This helps prevent pastry from shrinking during baking.
- Prick the bottom of crust to prevent bubbling during baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees. For the first 10-12 minutes keep the edges of pie covered with foil and then remove for the last 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown.
- Crush 1 cup strawberries. Combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Add water and crushed strawberries. Cook and stir over medium heat to boiling, stir constantly until clear and slightly thickened.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar. Stir in vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly in cooled crust. Refrigerate
- Place whole strawberries stem side down on top of creamed filling, pressing slightly.
- Spoon glaze over the berries. Chill for 3 hours.