Dulce de Leche Bars are full of all kinds of ooey, gooey goodness.
I still had some of my Crock Pot Dulce de Leche left after our Mock Fried Ice Cream and I needed a bar cookie to take to an event so I decided to put that dulce de leche to work!
I used a recipe for dulce de leche bars I had from Betty Crocker and just tweeked it a bit. I added chocolate. Not sure you can really have caramel without chocolate – can you?
The base of the bars is a combination of flour, butter, brown sugar and oats.
Use a pastry cutter to combine the ingredients.
After it is combined press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan reserving 1/4 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and spread the dulce de leche over the top. Carefully spread the dulce de leche so it doesn’t lift up too much of the bottom crust.Sprinkle with toffee bits and chocolate chips. I used the mini chocolate chips.
- 1½ C flour
- 1½ C old fashioned oats
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C butter, softened
- 1½ C dulce de leche
- 1 C toffee bits
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine your flour, oats, sugar and salt.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside ¼ C of the mixture to use as a topping.
- Press remaining crumbs into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small pan warm up your dulce de leche until it is a good spreading consistency.
- Spread dulce de leche over the top of the crust. Be gentle as you spread it so you don't lift up the crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits and chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!