Everyone knows that the best part of a crepe is what is inside.
Usually when we make crepes we go for the fast and easy version. A can of whip cream (the kind you spray out of the can, so fun!), berries of our choice (strawberries, raspberries). We just pile it on and enjoy. Another favorite is also a layer of nutella topped with sliced bananas. I prefer nutella with strawberries or even better yet is a layer of lemon curd with some berries and whip cream – heaven! There must always be berries and lots of them
Another very simple but delicious version is to drizzle with lemon juice and then a nice sprinkling of powdered sugar. A few strawberries added is nice too.
For the shower I decided to get a little fancier and make some mousse fillings for the crepe. I went with three different flavors.
The great thing about the mousse fillings is I could make them all the night before and just keep them in the refrigerator until the morning of the shower.
The crepe recipe I used can be found here.
My favorite of the three fillings I made was the White Chocolate Mousse – no surprise there! But the filling that disappeared the fastest was the Cream Cheese Mousse. They were all so good. I may or may not have eaten some of the leftovers straight out of the bowl, with just a spoon, no crepe.
- 1 C milk (I used 2 %, don't use skim. Whole milk would be the best)
- ⅓ C sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- ½ tsp gelatin
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 C whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Combine milk, cornstarch, sugar and egg yolk into a medium sauce pan
- Whisk together well
- Over medium heat, cook until it thickens and comes to a simmer
- Whisk constantly it will take about 10 minutes
- Then remove from heat and add in vanilla, butter and white chocolate
- Mix until everything is melted
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill for four hours or overnight
- In a small cup or bowl combine the gelatin with the water
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes
- Then pop into the microwave for about 10 seconds to melt the gelatin
- Cool to room temperature
- Then combine cream, powdered sugar and vanilla
- Whip until thick
- Add in gelatin and mix until medium peaks are formed
- Fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture in 3 parts
- Cover and chill for at least an hour or overnight
- 1½ C heavy cream, divided
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¾ C sugar, divided
- ⅓ C sour cream or Greek yogurt ( I used Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small pan heat together ½ cup of cream, cream cheese, and ½ C sugar over medium heat Stir frequently until the cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth
- Put into a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature
- In your mixer, beat the 1 cup cream with the yogurt, remaining ¼ cup sugar and vanilla until medium peaks form
- Fold the two mixtures together, ⅓ at a time
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!