So I really do know that today is Tuesday not Monday but I have an excuse.
I spent the weekend at the beach hosting a scrapbooking retreat so I am still on “beach time.”
As a side note, I am considering putting together a YHM 101 Beach Retreat this fall. We’d have lots of fun, eat lots of good food and learn a few new things. You interested? If you are, leave me a comment.
A while back I asked for some muffin flavor ideas and one you suggested was was cream cheese–doesn’t a Cream Cheese Muffin sound just perfect? Sounded good to me so I did a little research and found this recipe over at Bake or Break.
I have made them twice now and they are yummy. Lesson learned from the first time I made them – you must use cupcake liners on this recipe. If you don’t your streusel topping sticks to the pan and it’s almost impossible to get them out of the pan without totally destroying them. So although they tasted great the first time I made them they didn’t look too great and weren’t picture worthy. My family didn’t complain though when I had to make them again.
The cream cheese mixture is divided in half and part is mixed right into the batter and the other half is used to make a nice cream cheese center in the muffin.
After filling your liner with the batter place a scoop of the cream cheese mixture on top of each muffin.
Use the back of your spoon to gently push the cream cheese mixture into the center of the muffin. Then just sprinkle on your streusel topping to cover it all up! My favorite muffins usually have a streusel topping on them.
This muffin has a yummy, cream cheese center and a crunchy sweet streusel topping. Pretty darn good!
When you bite into the muffin it is fun to discover a pocket of nice, yummy cream cheese.
So whether you enjoy these on Monday or Tuesday you will still enjoy them – I promise!
- 3 C flour
- 1 C sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅔ C milk
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 C sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ C butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Mix together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- In another bowl stir together milk, oil, and eggs
- Combine with the dry ingredients
- Stir until just moistened
- Combine cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar
- Gently mix half of this mixture into the muffin batter
- Fill muffin tins about ½ to ⅔ full with batter
- Spoon the remaining cream cheese mixture onto the muffins, with the back of a spoon push the mixture into each muffin
- Combine ingredients
- Sprinkle generously over muffins
- Bake 24 to 30 minutes until golden brown