Soft and thick, these sugar cookie bars are topped with a delicious, creamy orange frosting that will remind you of a creamsicle.
Sugar cookie bars are the perfect go to dessert for summer BBQ’s and potlucks. It is a delicious and easy way to feed a crowd. You get all the goodness of a sugar cookie but in a bar cookie form. There is no chilling the dough, no rolling it out or forming balls. Just spread the dough into the pan and bake!
I’m a huge fan of sugar cookies and I love this quick and easy way to get my sugar cookie fix.
Orange Creamsicle is one of my favorite summertime flavors and the frosting on these bars will take you straight back to that childhood favorite dessert.
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- I use a 9 x 13″ pan for these cookie bars and line it with foil to make it easier to remove the sugar cookie bars. Spray the foil with some baking spray.
- Use fresh orange juice, orange zest and orange extract to give these sugar cookie bars it’s amazing orange flavor. My favorite kitchen tool to make orange zest is this microplanner.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting.
- I found some sugared orange slices at Trader Joe’s which I chopped up to add to the top but you could also use orange zest.
- Don’t overcook these as it will dry them out a bit. You want them nice and soft!
Other favorite sugar cookie recipes:
Sugar Cookie Bar Recipe
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp milk or whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil so that foil hangs over the edge. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and both sugars. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest. Mix to combine
- Add in flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Mix until combined. Dont' overmix.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until edges are just lightly golden brown. Cool completely.
- With a mixer, cream butter. Add in sugar and all other ingredients. Mix until combined and creamy and a good spreading consistency. If too thick, add in some additional milk, if too think, add in some extra powdered sugar.
- Spread on cooled cake. Sprinkle with orange zest or chopped sugared orange.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.