Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are a delicious way to enjoy the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate.
If you have ever had a Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookie from Levain Bakery than you know it is a peanut butter and chocolate lovers dream. After having one, I knew I needed to recreate the chocolate peanut butter cookie at home.
I love to visit my daughter in NYC and each time I go we explore new bakeries and restaurants. But there is one place I go every time I am there, Levain Bakery. There is always a line, and it is always worth the wait.
One night, a reader told me she had found a copy cat recipe for their chocolate peanut butter cookies that she felt were pretty close to the real thing. Of course I had to try them right away.
Levain Bakery cookies are big. Really big! They weigh about 180 kg or 1/3 lb. When I make any Levain cookie recipe, I make them about 1/3 of a cup in size. Still big, but not I am on vacation in New York big.
How to Make Levain Bakery Style Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.
To make cookies this big, you have to use a combination of all purpose flour and bread flour. Make the dough up ahead of time and then refrigerate it for a few hours. Or overnight if you have the time.
These cookies bake for a long time, about 16 minutes. And they will still look slightly under baked when you pull them out of the oven. That’s o.k. This is the way you want them. They will firm up as they cool.
You will love these cookies. Big, fat, chewy, and crispy all at the same time.
The bakery has several other flavor cookies, but these are my favorite. And believe me, I have tried them all. Depending on the size of your cookies, you will get about a dozen cookies out of the batch. But remember, they are BIG, even at half the size the bakery makes them.
They really are a handful! I love them fresh, warm out of the oven but they are good anytime.
If you love these cookies, try my Levain Bakery style cookie butter chocolate chip cookies. You can also check out more of my favorite things to see in New York City and my favorite places to eat in New York City. And don’t miss my favorite NYC ice cream shops.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter plus 2 tbsp
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg. or 2 cups of peanut butter chips
- Cream butter and sugars together.
- Add in vanilla and eggs and mix to combine.
- Sift cocoa powder in (cocoa is lumpy and you don't want lumps) and add in flours and salt.
- Mix together and then add in chips.
- Place dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a ball, wrap and refrigerate to chill. Several hours to overnight.
- Cut the chilled dough into pieces, about 1/3 cup size place on parchment covered paking sheet. I formed mine into a slightly flattened ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 16 minutes or longer if making cookies bigger (about 18 minutes)
- They may look a little raw in the middle which is fine. Remove and let them cool and they will set up.
Tips & Notes:
posted Feb. 6, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!