Black and White Brownies are a beautiful chewy combination of white chocolate and dark chocolate.
I like my brownies a little more dense and chewy than cake-like and these fit the bill.
Amidst all those goals and resolutions to eat better this year sometimes you just need a good brownie. I started my year off with lots of great intentions like many of you. Man, I had big plans and then we got hit full force with a nasty bug and everything pretty much came to a screeching hault. My enthusiasm, ambition, energy and everything else was gone and I was just basically in survival mode. Thanks to modern medicine though I am on the mend and working hard to get back to those goals, habits and resolutions! February is the new January for me!
So back to the brownies. I like brownies, but I don’t LOVE brownies. Actually I like chocolate, I don’t LOVE chocolate and truth be told I am not a fan of dark chocolate.
Well I have found a happy balance, my happy place where chocolate is concerned and it exists right in the middle of these black and white brownies. The brownie base is made with white chocolate and is nice and chewy and sweet. But tossed into that sweet brownie are chunks of dark chocolate. Just the right amount of dark chocolate as far as I’m concerned. The white chocolate balances it out quite nicely.
So does anyone else cut the edges off of their brownies and then eat the edges? I’m not sure why I do it but I think they taste better once they’ve been detached from the brownies!! Anyone else with me on this one?
My favorite kitchen items I used to make these BLACK AND WHITE BROWNIES:
PARCHMENT PAPER SHEETS – These precut sheets of parchment paper are a total time saver in the kitchen.
8 x 8 GLASS PAN – I prefer baking in glass over metal and these are the glass pans I love. I have them all different sizes.
WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS – I am a flavor of the Guittard Brand and find these chips to have a nice vanilla flavor. I usually keep a bag in the freezer for snacking on!
Other favorite brownies recipes include these yummy BYU mint brownies from my college days. These Chocolate Syrup Brownies were and still are my mom’s go to brownie recipe. And these Orange Brownies are a fun twist on a traditional favorite treat.
Black and White Brownie Recipe
Black and White Brownies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a 8 or 9 inch square pan with parchment paper
- In a bowl, combine white chocolate chips and butter and microwave at 1 minute intervals until the chocolate melts. Doing slowly, checking often as white chocolate burns easily.
- Stir to combine and then in add in sugar, vanilla and salt. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Add in flour and baking powder. Stir to combine. Will create a thick batter
- Add in 3/4 cup chocolate chunks and sprinkle the remaining on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Use parchment paper to remove from pan and cut into pieces.
Tips & Notes:
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!