I love surprises! I especially think it’s fun to bite into a cookie and find something you didnt’ expect (as long as it is some form of chocolate!) This week I had the girls from my church class (14-16 year old girls) over for a holiday cookie baking night. One of the girl’s moms (thanks Claudia!) taught them how to make some fun Christmas cookies and one of them I just have to share because it was so good – Snowballs. The best part of this cookie is that hidden inside is a Hershey Kiss! These cookies freeze great too. You can make them with or without the nuts.
My class from church making Snowball cookies
- 2 sticks butter, softened (1 cup)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 8 oz. chocolate kisses
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Cream butter and sugar well until smooth.
- Add flour and then walnuts.
- Gather dough into disk-shape and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least ½ hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove foil from kisses and insert one inside a ball of dough 1 inch in diameter.
- Make sure each kiss is completely covered by dough.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12 minutes, until just cooked through.
- Roll in powdered sugar after cooled.
Another fun “hidden surprise” cookie is Snickers Cookies – you guessed it – hidden inside is a mini Snicker candy bar – yum! This recipe was shared with me by another food blogger -Katherine of How to be a Domestic Goddess. These are so awesome – you won’t be able to eat just one! Happy Baking!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 60 minature (bite size) Snickers candy bars (these are the smallest size ones - NOT the fun size)
- chocolate glaze (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to peanut butter mixture.
- Take 1 Tbsp. of dough and flatten into round shape in palm of hand.
- Place Snickers bar in center and fold dough around it.
- Roll in palms of your hand to form a smooth ball with the Snickers bar totally covered with the dough.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle top of cookies with chocolate glaze.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbps. milk
- Mix powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa and milk
- Add additional as needed to thin mixture enough to drizzle from spoon