We are in the midst of berry season here in Oregon and I am a happy woman. I am lucky enough to have several U-pick berry farms within a few miles of my home and I’ve been spending some serious time there lately. Strawberries, raspberries, marionberries, boysenberries and next week I’ll be picking blueberries. Pretty lucky aren’t I?!
Thanks to those berry farms these Raspberry Streusel Bars made an appearance at my house last week. It was my baby’s 19th birthday and I wanted to send some treats with her to work.
Although I chose to make the Streusel Bars with raspberries they would be yummy with just about any berry – especially blackberries or blueberries. I don’t think you could go wrong.
The recipe uses a combination of fruit jam and fresh fruit. Lucky for me I had some homemade raspberry jam in the freezer I used along with my fresh picked raspberries but store bought jam and berries will work just fine.
The base of the bar is made with butter, sugar, flour and salt. After it is baked for 15 minutes or so it is covered with a layer of raspberry jam and fresh raspberries that have been smashed together.
The streusel topping is the best part in my option. I love the texture and flavor of it. It is made with butter, brown sugar, oats and chopped pecans.
This Raspberry Streusel Bars totally fits my criteria of pretty and delicious!
Adapted from Laura’s Sweet Spot
Raspberry Streusel Bars
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces softened and divided
- 1/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C pecans chopped fine
- 3/4 C raspberry jams
- 1 C fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with baking spray
- In a mixer, with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt and 14 Tbsp of butter, one piece at a time.
- Mix until it resembles the texture of wet sand. May also use food processor
- Set aside 1 1/4 C flour mixture.
- Put remaining flour mixture into bottom of pan and press evenly to make bottom layer.
- Bake until edges turn brown, about 14-18 minutes.
- While it is baking, add brown sugar, oats and pecans to flour mixture. Mix together.
- Work in remaining 2 Tbsp butter with fingers until pea size clumps form.
- Set streusel aside.
- Mix together jam and fresh berries along with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mash with a form until only some berry pieces remain.
- Spread raspberry filling over hot crust; sprinkle streusel topping evenly over filling (do not press into filling).
- Return to oven and bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- About 22-25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Adapted from Laura's Sweet Spot
Recipe originally shared over to Thirty Handmade Days .
This week I am at the beach enjoying our annual Week at the Beach.
I get to spend it with my favorite people in the world – my kids!
This picture pretty much sums up how happy we are to be here!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!