The pumpkin theme continues here this week.
Even if you aren’t a pumpkin fan you are going to like this recipe for Pumpkin Chili with Chicken. The recipe uses a can of pumpkin but there really isn’t a strong pumpkin taste but you’re getting the nutritional value of the pumpkin anyway! So even if you don’t like pumpkin give it a try! You could always leave the pumpkin out if you really wanted to.
Our days are getting cooler here in Oregon. The trees have lost their leaves and it’s time for some nice, warm chili! I recently asked on Facebook if any of you had a recipe you’d like to see on the blog and Britney sent me this recipe for Pumpkin Chili. I couldn’t wait to try it. I tweeked it just a bit.
I first served this at our annual Halloweenie Roast and the pot quickly disappeared. I only got a few bite fulls so I decided I needed to make it again right away to make sure it was as good as I thought it was. I was right.
The recipe calls for chopped onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic. I forgot to pick up a jalapeno pepper at the store but lucky for me my neighbor has some growing in a pot in their backyard so I just helped myself. Thanks Debbie!
The veges are sauteed in some olive oil until they are tender.
Then the ground chicken (or you could use turkey or beef) is added in and cooked.
Next the tomatoes, chicken broth, pumpkin and beans are added in. I like using a combination of red kidney beans and white beans. It is prettier that way. Add in some chili powder, cumin, and salt too.
Then let it simmer for at least 30 minutes. It could also be put in a crockpot at this point and allowed to simmer until ready to serve. I t hink the flavors improve and intensify as it simmers.
Now you are ready to enjoy a delicious and hearty bowl of chili – perfect for any Fall evening. We enjoyed ours with a pan of homemade corn bread. Recipe coming soon!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 2 cans (15 oz.) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 C chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can white kidney beans
- Heat oil in large pot and add in onion, peppers and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add in turkey and cooked until browned.
- Add in tomatoes, pumpkin, chicken brown, chili powder, cumin, salt. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and add in beans.
- Cover and simmer, stir occasionally for 30 minutes or more.