Wednesday is usually “Lovely Lemon” day but today I was in the mood for chocolate and peanut butter. I love that combination. I remember my first taste of that wonderful combo came in some Baskin & Robbins Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream – the best!
Add some cream cheese to that peanut butter and chocolate and you have heaven! Beware – this recipe is not low calorie!
You will see the recipe calls for 12 – yes 12 – regular size Reeses Peanut Butter Cups but I had a bag of little miniature peanut butter cups in my freezer that I used. I think next time I would use the regular size ones because you will get a stronger peanut butter flavor. The miniature ones were cute but there was not enough peanut butter.
The beauty of this recipe is that it uses a boxed brownie mix – easy!
LA Note – One mistake I made was that when I put the marshmallows on top and put it back in the oven for them to puff I left them in too long and the marshmallows started to melt – be sure and pull it out while they are still puffed and not melted or you won’t have the “puffed” part of the recipe!
Do you have a favorite peanut butter and chocolate combination? I’d love to hear!
- 1 brownie mix of choice (9 x 13) along with ingredients as directed on back of package
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 12 regular size Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, cut into cubes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter, melted in microwave to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place brownie mix and ingredients on back of box as directed (eggs, oil, water) into a large mixing bowl
- Mix until combined and pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- In a separate bowl mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth
- Drop by the tablespoon evenly over the brownie batter
- Take a knife or toothpick and swirl the cheese mixture through the brownie batter
- Bake for 30-32 minutes or until cooked through
- Once brownies are just about cooked, with about 2 minutes left, sprinkle marshmallows, Reeses cups and chocolate chips over brownies
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed slightly
- Remove and cool completely before cutting
- While brownies are cooling, drizzle melted peanut butter over bars
- Let cool
- Once cool, cut and enjoy!
This recipe is from one of my favorite food blogs – The Picky Palate
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!