Two of my favorite things – lemon and frosting. I actually am not a huge cake fan, I am a frosting fan. I eat cake so I can eat frosting and I have been known to skip the cake and just eat the frosting. Lemony Lemon Cake includes two of my favorite things – lemon and frosting.
Today’s Lemony Lemon Cake recipe is one that has been in my binder of family favorites for years and originally came from my friend Cathy. We had dinner guests last week and I was stumped as what to fix for dessert and I was having a bit of a lemon craving despite the fact that it is almost fall and I should be craving apples and cinnamon. I think my taste buds are confused. That is what happens when the calendar says September but the temperature is in the 80′s!
I was in the mood for lemon frosting -ooops – I mean lemon cake with lemon frosting.
I was hoping my dinner guests were in the mood for lemon cake too. This lemon cake recipe is an easy one. It uses a lemon cake mix and I just doctor it up a bit by adding in an extra egg and instead of water I use buttermilk. Like I said, the reason you make this cake is not for the cake it is for the frosting. But the cake is nice and lemony and moist too.
The frosting makes a lot so if you eat cake because you like cake and not the frosting you could probably get away with cutting the frosting recipe in half but if you are like me you will want to make it just the way it is.
With lots of frosting! It is a fairly simple cake. You just make it in a 9 x 13 pan and then load on the frosting. It is easy and quick to make but don’t be deceived by it’s simplicity and its unassuming appearance .
So if your taste buds are a bit confused and think it is still spring and lemon season like mine you are going to love this cake. Even if your taste buds aren’t confused and they are craving apples and cinnamon give it a try – refresh your taste buds with some lemony lemon cake goodness.
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- Ingredients from back of box
- Buttermilk to substitute for water in cake mix
- 1 additional egg to what is called for in cake mix
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tsp grated lemon peel
- About 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Mix together cake mix according to directions on back but add in one additional egg and substitute buttermilk for water.
- Bake according to directions in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Beat together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon peel and lemon juice until fluffy and spreading consistency. If necessary add some additional lemon juice to get the right consistency.