School has now been back in session for two weeks and I’m struggling a bit with getting back into that school routine. The worst part is getting a meal planning routine down.
I know how to do it.
I have a meal planning system that works for our family. The problem isn’t the plan – the problem is me. In order for a system to work you have to use it! I just need to buckle down and do it. So my goal for this week is to plan out two weeks of menus.
Here’s where you come in. I want you to inspire me. In the comment section below I’d love for you to share with me your families favorite weeknight meal and provide the recipe if possible. I find that nothing inspires and motivates me more than a fun new recipe.
So, will you help me? Will you provide me with a little inspiration and help? How about if you help me, I’ll help you and share with you that two week meal plan I’m putting together complete with recipe links? Deal?!
Today’s recipe is a little dinner time inspiration for you that I received from my friend Sherra. Although after her post the other day I’m not sure if I should trust any recipes she sends me in the future (just kidding!) Sherra found this recipe over at Everyday Mommy.
We loved it. It has a nice light coating made with a combination of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. The chicken is browned in butter and olive oil and then baked for a nice light and crispy coating. The sauce that goes over the top has just the perfect amount of lemon, not too overpowering but enough to know there is lemon in there. The original recipe also calls for mushrooms in the sauce which my husband was disappointed I did not put in but I don’t do mushrooms (can you guess why!?)
This chicken would be perfect served with rice or a buttered noodle. It would even be great with mashed potatoes. It is nice to have something to absorb and enjoy the nice lemony sauce with.
Now it’s your turn – inspire me!!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten with a tbsp of water
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about ½ - 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 tbsp Butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350º and preheat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil & butter
- If using mushrooms, wash and slice them
- Pound each chicken breast until flat and even, about ½ inch thick
- Season both sides with salt & pepper
- Grate or shave a generous amount (about ½ cup)of the Parmesan with a vegetable peeler or grater and add into the bread crumbs and toss together
- Save some Parmesan for the sauce
- Using 3 plates or pie tins fill one with flour, one with beaten egg and one with bread crumbs with shaved Parmesan
- Lightly cover each chicken breast in each; flour first, egg second and bread crumb mixture last
- Place coated chicken breasts into a preheated skillet with olive oil and melted butter
- Brown 2-3 minutes on both sides
- Remove from skillet and place into casserole dish
- Then place in preheated oven for 20 minutes
- Do not overcook or the chicken will be tough
- Add 2 more Tablespoons of butter and mushrooms into skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown
- Add capers and garlic to mixture
- Deglaze the skillet with the chicken stock & lemon juice, scraping the bottom of the pan
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add 2 more tbsp butter and the heavy cream
- Mix together well and turn to low
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and will coat the back of a spoon
- Right before serving sprinkle in some shaved or grated Parmesan and stir till it melts
- After removing the chicken from the oven place on a serving platter
- Pour the creme sauce over top and serve
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!