We’ve got a bumper crop of green beans this year. Fortunately my husband staggered the planting so they are not all ripening at once!
I have been going through all my stand by green bean recipes and trying out a few new ones too.
A couple of our favorites are:
Pan Seared Green Beans – had these this week and I had forgotten how yummy they are!
Last week was my husband’s birthday so I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner. His usual response is “I like anything you make.” And then I will ask him to be a little more specific and he will say, “chicken” and then a little more specific and I got “stir fry”.
So, I had been wanting to try this recipe for General Tso’s Chicken I found over at this blog. The recipe is gluten free if using gluten free soy sauce.
The recipe called for snow peas but since I had an abundance of green beans I decided to use those.
The dish was a total hit with everyone and I think my husband mentioned three or four times during dinner how much he liked it! It was great with fresh green beans. I think next time I may try it with snow peas or maybe even asparagus. Something green!
General Tso’s is traditionally a fairly spicy dish. You can moderate the heat in this recipe with your amount of red pepper flakes. The sauce is a combination of sweet and spicy – perfect.
The chicken is also lightly breaded with egg whites and cornstarch so there is no heavy coating.
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 lb green beans,snow peas, or asparagus trimmed and halved crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 Tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and ½ cup cold water until smooth and cornstarch has dissolved
- Add snow peas (or green beans), garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and ½ teaspoon of red-pepper flakes to cornstarch mixture; toss to combine and set aside
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Add chicken, toss to coat
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Lift half of the chicken from the egg white mixture (shaking off excess) and add to skillet
- Cook, turning occasionally, until golden (8-10 minutes)
- Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, adding red pepper flakes
- Set aside, reserving skillet
- Add the green bean mixture to the skillet
- Cover; cook until beans are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes
- Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat
- Serve over hot rice