The very first thing I ate after arriving in Paris last Spring was French Onion Soup. Of course in Paris it is not called French Onion Soup – it is called Soupe à l’oignon. No need for the French part because you’re in France!
Whenever I go to a restaurant that has French Onion Soup on the menu I order it. I love it but I had never made it at home. I had decided it was just too hard to make at home. I am happy to report that I was wrong!!
Remember those Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions I shared a few weeks ago? Well, they make a perfect onion soup and make it so easy.
I used a cup of caramelized onions that I had put away in the freezer. You could use more but I don’t like my soup too oniony.
I had a delicious bowl of french onion soup in no time at all!! French Onion soup is made with a base of beef broth. I actually used a combination of beef and chicken and then it is topped with some toasted baguette and covered in cheese!! Place it under the broiler and you have Soupe à l’oignon. Translation: delicious!
Here’s how I did it. I made my broth and added the caramelized onions. I sliced a baguette and then brushed the bread with a little olive oil and placed it under the broiler to toast.
I then placed the bread on top of the soup and covered it with a couple of slices of Swiss cheese. Then covered that with mozzarella cheese! My favorite part of French onion soup is the cheesy part on top. Lots of ooey, gooey cheese!
I then placed the bowl onto a cookie sheet and placed it under the broiler. Watch it carefully and pull it out when the cheese has melted and gotten bubbly and golden brown on top.
Then grab a spoon and dig it!! Just close your eyes and imagine yourself sitting at a little sidewalk cafe in Paris! Oh la la!!
From some other tastes from France try these:
- 1 C caramelized onions
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of French bread/baguette
- olive oil
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- ½ C shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Mix together broths, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings.
- Add in caramelized onions
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and reduce heat.
- Add in vinegar and season as necessary with salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- Slice french bread,
- Brush with olive oil and place on cookie sheet.
- Place under broiler until golden brown
- Place slice of bread on top of bowl of soup.
- Cover with 2 slices of Swiss cheese
- Add ⅛ C of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted, bubbly and beginning to brown.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here