First of all, I want to say thank you. Thank you for all your sweet and wonderful comments about my very first video blog post! You made me feel like a star! I have another fun one planned for you, just need to wait until my camera girl is available to help me! If you missed my first one be sure and check it out here and don’t forget to check out the great giveaway over at The DIY Dish.
I may have mentioned a time or two here on the blog that we have been trying to eat less sugars and starches at our house. I think I keep saying it because I think it will make it easier – well it doesn’t! I did really well until Easter. All that yummy food and Easter candy did me in and that cupcake tutorial didn’t help either!!
One of the dinners I have fixed a lot while we have been on this low carb eating regime is lettuce wraps. I have shared a great lettuce wrap recipe with you before. It is super quick and easy to make and uses a bag of broccoli slaw. There is almost no chopping or prep involved.
I found another lettuce wrap recipe over at Tasty Kitchen that I think I like even better. I tweaked it a bit and added a few things. It is a little bit more work, there is some chopping involved but all that chopping creates this….
Isn’t it pretty?!
You can use either ground turkey or ground chicken. I used ground chicken because it’s what I had in the freezer.
Despite a little bit of chopping it makes for a pretty quick healthy weeknight meal and it’s yummy too! Just serve it in some lettuce cups and you are good to go. Of course if you are eating carbs you could also serve it with some rice.
The original recipe did not call for slivered almonds but I added them and LOVE them. I like a little bit of crunch to my food.
So low carb or not give this yummy recipe a try. It has become a regular at the Wilkes’ family dinner table!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil - not olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 whole carrots diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 2 whole shallots minced
- 1 pound ground Chicken or Turkey
- 1 can water chestnuts diced
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- 1 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- 1 head iceberg or Bibb lettuce
- In a large pan or wok heat oil over medium high heat
- Add ginger and garlic
- Be careful not to burn, as it will ruin your dish
- Stir-fry until fragrant
- Add the carrots, celery and shallots
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until tender
- Meanwhile, mix all of the sauces together in a bowl including the sugar
- Stir well
- Add the chicken or turkey
- Stir completely to incorporate all the vegetables
- Add the water chestnuts and green onions
- Mix together sauces and sugar and then pour into your turkey/vegetable mixture
- Continue stirring so all the flavors combine
- Cook until the meat is cooked through
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds
- Serve in lettuce
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!