I actually can’t believe I’m so excited about something made with tomatoes. I never ate tomatoes as a kid, as a teenager, as a young adult and even as a not so young adult but as a middle aged adult I have learned to love and appreciate tomatoes.
I think I have a new favorite condiment – sweet tomato relish. I made a batch of this last week for the bridal shower I hosted. I served it on crostini that was spread with a little roasted garlic and cambozola cheese. I then topped it with the sweet tomato relish and it was delish.
I decided it just might make a nice little condiment on chicken. I was right. Now that I’ve had it on chicken I also think it would be mighty fine on beef, pork and fish. I think it would be fine on just about anything!!
The relish is a combination of cherry tomatoes, sweet onion, olive oil, sugar and a little seasoning.
Slice up your onion and cut your cherry tomatoes in half and put them in a pan with a little olive oil.
After it has thickens it is ready to eat – by the spoon full or served on just about anything. For dinner this week I served in on some pan fried buttermilk chicken.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and let them marinade in some buttermilk for an hour or two. I then lightly breaded them with some seasoned flour and pan fried them in half vegetable oil and half olive oil.
Cook until the chicken is cooked through and serve with sweet tomato relish.
- 2 C cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ C sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ C brown sugar
- ¼ C white sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to about ½ inch thick
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat olive oil in pan.
- Add sliced onion and cherry tomatoes
- Add in sugar and thyme
- Stir and simmer until thickened. About 15 minutes
- Smash tomatoes with back of spoon as it simmers
- Pound chicken breasts until about ½ inch thick and even
- Marinade in buttermilk for 1-2 hours
- Combine flour, salt and pepper into a shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and dip into flour, turning to coat both sides.
- Heat oil in large pan and add chicken.
- Cook chicken on both sides until cooked through
- Top and serve with sweet tomato relish
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!