Bunco White Chocolate and Frito Popcorn

Finally!

I woke up early this morning to finally find my blog back working (and a tsunami headed towards our beach house!)  Thanks to all of you have patiently waited for two days to be able to access the blog.

It’s felt like one of my children had gone missing!  The wonderful world of technology can be rather frustrating sometimes.  A big, huge thank you to Cathy of Desperately Seeking WordPress who came to my rescue and helped me figure out what was going on and worked to get it fixed for me!

I spent a little time in the kitchen over the past few days and I have a fun treat to share with you today.  I also made 150 tiara/crown shaped sugar cookies for the Hairspray cast but I’ll post those photos later this weekend.

Years ago I was in a Bunco group, until they kicked me out because I missed too many times.  Yes, I am Bunco reject.

The best part of bunco was the yummy treats people would serve.  There is one particular treat that stands out in my mind above all others.

White Chocolate Popcorn

One night I was sitting at the bunco table, mindlessly throwing my dice and talking.  On each table there was always a bowl of some kind of treat – M & M’s, licorice, nuts etc.  This particular night it was white chocolate covered popcorn.  But it wasn’t just popcorn.  They had added Fritos into the mix and it took it to a whole new level.  The saltiness of the Fritos did amazing things to the white chocolate popcorn and I was in love.

The Bunco host’s particular version did not include the Easter M & M’s.  I threw those in for good measure and to make it a little prettier.  Everything is better with M & M’s  – right?

White Chocolate Popcorn

It’s a super quick and easy snack and it is addictive.

I used my air popper to pop up a big bowl of popcorn (about 8 cups) and then threw in several handfuls of crushed up Fritos.

White Chocolate Popcorn

Then I melted about a pound of white chocolate melts or almond bark and poured it over the mixture.

White Chocolate Popcorn

Spread it out on a cookie sheet and then sprinkle the top with the M&M’s or not.  Let cool.

M&M’s and popcorn are one of a my favorite combinations.

White Chocolate Popcorn

It’s as simple as that.  I thought of picking out all the green M & M’s from the bag and making it St. Patrick’s day themed but I’m just not that in to St. Patrick’s Day.  It’s the one holiday we tend to ignore around here.  Just no Irish blood coursing through my veins.

White Chocolate Popcorn

Bunco White Chocolate and Frito Popcorn

• 8 C of popped popcorn
  • 1 lb. white chocolate, almond bark or melts
  • 2 C Fritos, crushed
  • M & M's
  1. Put popped corn and crushed Fritos into bowl
  2. Melt chocolate in microwave
  3. Pour melted chocolate over popcorn mixture and stir to coat completely
  4. Pour onto a was paper or parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool and dry

Comments

1. Tiffanie Northrup-Robinson says

I love this stuff! I made some for a Valentines party and threw in some slivered almonds that added just a little extra crunch! Yummo!

When I read the title & saw “Fritos” and “White Chocolate” in the same sentence my first thought was ewwwww. But then I read it & saw the pictures & now I’m thinking YUM!! LOL Adding this to my bookmarks!

3. Erin Pearce says

I love this….it looks GREAT!! And perfect for Bunko too!! However, the printable link is not working for me?? Is it just me??

Thanks for the shoutout LeighAnne!
    I saw this recipe earlier this morning and its taking all my self control NOT to make it!!

However, for my Mad Scientist (6yr old) party next week – that looks PERFECT!! :)

5. Denise says

Hi Leigh Anne,

Last summer my daughter was a counselor at a youth camp and she took a big container of the white chocolate covered popcorn mix (your recipe). It was the adults that devoured it. Great recipe! I’m also very excited about your Raspberry Dream Muffin recipe that I made this morning. I think they must be about the very best best muffin I’ve ever made. I agree…fresh raspberries are so worth it in this recipe. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and inspiration!

6. Trisha says

Mmmmm…
    I wish I could find REAL white chocolate (not white chips that don’t have real cocoa butter in them) around here (Utah) besides Bakers brand. Too $$ for the amounts I always need to use. I love the M & M idea. They always come in seasonal colors so this could be made year round in seasonal colors. Thanks for posting! I love your blog:)

This looks yummy, and I am usually a popcorn purist (just real butter, please)! I will be trying this. Your new blog design is gorgeous!! Sorry it was down for a while… over on facebook I tried to find a link to it on your page when you were asking people to check to see if they could see it… but I couldn’t find a link anywhere. I am a subscriber, though, so I could click through my blogger account. I also just checked out your daughter’s blog. She is just adorable. Have you written any tips for fostering such an awesome mother-daughter relationship? I would love to read about that! I have a sweet 11yo daughter and I pray our relationship stays strong and close. Blessings!

So glad it’s working again so everyone can see your beautiful new design. I haven’t had a chance to tell you how much I love it. Of course I had a sneak peek :) The photos just make it. It is so you!!

9. Erin Pearce says

So I made this the day after you posted it and holy YUM!!! I also sent a link to the post to all the girls in my Bunko group letting them know that I think it should be a mandatory snack served monthly from now on!!! Thanks for sharing!! Everyone around here LOVED it!!!

Hi! I came over from Tip Junkie. This looks so yummy! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to rading more of your blog.

11. Pam says

Wow! I made something similar to this for a bunco party. I mixed popcorn, fritos, bugles, and Kix cereal. Anything that is corn flavored. The white chocolate coating brings it all together. The bowl was gone before the game ended!

12. Rhiannon says

I can not wait to make this, I ran across it a few weeks ago and then misplaced the link. So glad I found it (but now I have to go buy more Fritos) I have told so many people about this, I have been told that some toss rice krispies in for extra crunch also!

So glad you found the link again too. Love the idea of adding in some rice krispies! I’m making cookies today and am going to add some rice krispies into the dough! I love crunch in my food

This recipe is delicious! A friend needed a white chocolate popcorn recipe for a baby shower and I told her about yours. It was a hit!

I guess I could just ask you this question next Thursday when I see you at Women’s Conference, but I’m too impatient. Another blog had a similar recipe to yours here, but without the Fritos, which got me thinking…how much unpopped popcorn does it take to pop 8 cups of popped popcorn? Thanks- Patti