Our family loves the flavor and texture of these almond poppyseed muffins – perfect for breakfast or snack time.
Thanks for all the great muffin flavor combination suggestions last week. I’ve got a lot of fun combinations to try. If you did not leave a flavor combination request last week – do so this week. I’d love to hear from you.
Today’s flavor combination – almond, poppy seed and a touch of citrus was inspired by a muffin I saw over at allrecipes.com. Try out this almond poppy seed muffin recipe!
They remind me of Costco’s poppyseed muffin but the citrus glaze on the top takes them up a few notches in my book.
I typically use 1 cup of milk or buttermilk in muffin recipes but for today’s recipe I substituted out half of that milk for oil for a slightly moister muffin. I left out the butter I usually put in to help cut down on the fat.
For the citrus glaze I used fresh orange juice but I think some lemon juice or even lime juice would be quite lovely or any combination there of.
Enjoy some Monday Morning loveliness with an Almond Poppy Seed Muffin.
Almond Poppy Seed Muffins}Muffin Mondays
- 2 eggs
- 1 C white sugar
- 1/2 C oil
- 1/2 C milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Beat together eggs, sugar and oil
- Mix in milk, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, flavorings and flour
- Do not over mix
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool until slightly warm and then add glaze
- While baking mix together glaze and allow it to cool a bit and thicken slightly
- In a saucepan over low heat combine sugar, juice, extracts and butter
- Stir until sugar is dissolved
- Once glaze is cooled to room temperature dip tops of slightly warm muffins into glaze
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!