Thanks for all the great muffin flavor combination suggestions last week. I’ve got a lot of fun combinations to try. If you did not leave a flavor combination request last week – do so this week. I’d love to hear from you.
Today’s flavor combination – almond, poppy seed and a touch of citrus was inspired by a muffin I saw over at allrecipes.com. Try out this almond poppy seed muffin recipe!
They remind me of Costco’s poppyseed muffin but the citrus glaze on the top takes them up a few notches in my book.
I typically use 1 cup of milk or buttermilk in muffin recipes but for today’s recipe I substituted out half of that milk for oil for a slightly moister muffin. I left out the butter I usually put in to help cut down on the fat.
For the citrus glaze I used fresh orange juice but I think some lemon juice or even lime juice would be quite lovely or any combination there of.
Enjoy some Monday Morning loveliness with an Almond Poppy Seed Muffin.
- 2 eggs
- 1 C white sugar
- 1/2 C oil
- 1/2 C milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Beat together eggs, sugar and oil
- Mix in milk, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, flavorings and flour
- Do not over mix
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool until slightly warm and then add glaze
- While baking mix together glaze and allow it to cool a bit and thicken slightly
- In a saucepan over low heat combine sugar, juice, extracts and butter
- Stir until sugar is dissolved
- Once glaze is cooled to room temperature dip tops of slightly warm muffins into glaze