A delicious crock pot dinner. You can control the heat in Sausage Chili to whatever level you want. Hot, Medium or Mild!
Fixing dinner in the crock pot is one of my favorite things to do. In fact I wrote an entire cookbook full of recipes for the slow cooker! Be sure and check out a few of our family’s favorite crock pot recipes including Kalua Pork, Teriyaki Chicken in the Crock Pot, Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup, Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup, and Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
Italian Sausage Chili to Share
I originally made this chili to share with some of our local fireman on Valentine’s Day. They are a group of men who didn’t get to take their wife or sweetheart out to dinner for Valentine’s to celebrate. They were busy working to help keep us all safe. These men and women have been to my house and the homes of many of my neighbors and friends and I was excited to show them my gratitude and appreciation for all they do to keep our neighborhood safe.
How to Make Sausage Chili
- I used a combination of sweet Italian sausage, hot Italian sausage and ground beef. If you don’t want the heat use mild Italian sausage. This is definitely a meat lover’s chili!!
- I combined the meat with a lot of yummy, colorful peppers to make for a very pretty pot of chili. I used red peppers, green peppers and jalapenos. Again, if you want a milder chili leave out the jalapenos or substitute some green chilies for the jalapenos.
- You can also control the heat by reducing the amount of chili powder.
Cooked all the meat on the stove top and then combined it with the rest of the ingredients, except for the fresh tomatoes, and put it in the crock pot. The crock pot will soften the peppers.
Cook it on high for about four hours or low for 6-8 hours if needed. You just want the flavors to meld together and the peppers to soften up. Add the fresh tomatoes about an hour before serving or use them as a garnish on top. A sprinkle of some freshly chopped parsley adds some nice color too.
Can I make Crock Pot Chili on the Stove?
You could also do the whole thing on the stove top if you want but I think chili tastes better the longer it simmers and I love being able to put dinner in the crock pot in the morning and have it ready when I am! If you decide to do it on the stove top, let the chili simmer for at least an hour.
Using my crockpot to make dinner is one of my favorite things! For other crock pot recipes check out these:
- Kalua Pork
- Teriyaki Chicken in the Crock Pot
- Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
***If you love EASY and DELICIOUS meals that you can make for your family in your slow cooker, please join me over on Instgram where I share ALL slow cooker recipes! Hope to see you there! Find me on Instagram at @slowcookerrecipelove ***
Sausage Chili Recipe
- 1 lb. hot Italian Sausage cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb. sweet Italian Sausage ground
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground beef chuck
- 1 green peppers coarsely chopped
- 1 red peppers coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers cored, seeded and cut into small pieces (for hotter chili, add up to 6)
- 58 oz diced tomatoes with juice (four 14.5 oz cans)
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder or more for added heat
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- cheese and sour cream for garnish
- Cook sausage until browned and cooked through. May want to add a bit of water to the pan to help them cook.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan and add in onions and garlic and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add in ground chuck and cook until meat is browned.
- Add meat and sausage into crock pot.
- Add in peppers, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, tomato paste, parsley and seasonings. Stir.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Add in fresh, chopped tomatoes an hour before serving or add as garnish on top of chili.
- Garnish with additional parsley.
Originally posted February 15, 2013
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Tomato Soup or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.