For the next several weeks, while I am in full wedding mode and trying not to totally lose it, I have asked a few of my blogger friends to help me out. Each Monday through August I will have a fun guest post for you from one of my favorite bloggers. They have all been so sweet and gracious to help me out!! Today you get to met Kristen of Kristen Duke Photography. Be sure to visit her blog and check out her amazing photography! She is a girl after my own heart, sharing a recipe using two of my favorite flavors. Her Raspberry Lemon Squares look amazing. Be sure and show Kristen some love and leave a comment!!
Hello friends! My name is Kristen Duke, and I’m a lifestyle blogger who likes to share just about everything on my site from home projects, photography tips, & recipes. I’m currently in the middle of sharing My Love Story, and my recent adventure to Alaska along with snippets of how I am capturing joy in my daily life. I’m a mother to 4 in Austin, Texas, and Leigh Anne and I finally got to meet last April after a bit of emailing back and forth. I look up to her a lot, and love to see her get together with her fam on IG because our kids birth order is similar, so I’m living my future vicariously through her;) I’m so happy to be here today!
I’ve got a delicious summer treat to share with you! About half way through the cooking process, I had to make a last minute decision on a substitute that ended up working out–whew!
first you make a little crust
then you bake it and pour on a sugar-y mixture. This is where I realized I was all out of sugar. SUGAR! I searched around and since I’d asked several neighbors to borrow ingredients for something I made a few days before, decided against it and tried something on a whim:
It’s pretty much sugar, so I used this lemonade powder! It actually turned out well! It’s not the same consistency as the sugar would have been, but it made it pink, so that was an added bonus!
I then put the fruit on top and cooked a little longer
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar plus 1-2 T
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter soft and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/ 4 t salt
- 1 1/2 T grated lemon peel
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh fruit: raspberries blueberries, or strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and 1/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar.
- Add the butter and using your hands, a pastry cutter, or two knives, mix well until the butter breaks down into s mall pealike shapes.
- Press the crust into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 8x8x2 inch baking pan or rectangular tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake on the middle rack in oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Slowly add the granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon peel, and lemon juice, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the crust.
- Bake for another 15 minutes on the middle rack.
- Scatter the berries over the lemon mixture and bake another 10 minutes or so. If the tart begins to brown, cover very loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. The tart is done with a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Sift remaining confectioners' sugar on top.
Voila! Yummy summer-y treat!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!