I love it when I receive a comment on an old post. I first posted this recipe back in April of 2009 and I love that people are still finding the recipe and making it. The reader said, “This was so delish! I grew up on lemon meringue pies so I was eager to try another version. I was not disappointed. It was so easy! I will definitely make this again!!
Getting that email reminded me of how good it is and that it needed a little recipe redo.
The pie starts with a graham cracker crust that is topped with a delicious lemon sour cream layer and then topped with whipped cream.
This pie is so delicious and the combination of lemon and sour cream give it the perfect lemon flavor. Not too tart, just enough sweet.
Here is the original post. It was posted right after Easter when we had enjoyed this pie for Easter dinner. You’ve got plenty of time to make it for this year’s Easter brunch or dinner!
We enjoyed the day at church and then dinner with friends. There was so much yummy food. I am excited to share some of the great new recipes with you in the next few weeks – after a few more lemon recipes!
Easter and lemon just go together at our house. Easter dinner would not be complete with out some type of lemon dessert. In the past we have enjoyed Lemon Angel Pie and Marilyn’s Lemon Curd and Ice Cream Pie.
I tried a new lemon dessert this Easter – a recipe that was sent to me by reader, Brandee. This pie is SO GOOD! It was a huge hit at Easter dinner. It is a smooth and sweet pie with just the right amount of lemon loveliness!
The original recipe called for a pastry crust but Brandee said she preferred a graham cracker crust so I took her suggestion. I learned a great new tip for making a graham cracker crust from my America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.
Use your measuring cup to press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of the pie pan to get a nice smooth, even crust!
Printable Recipe for Sour Cream Lemon Pie
- 1 C Sugar
- 3 Tbsp plus 1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 C lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup butter cubed
- 1 Cup 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 pastry shell 9 inches, baked or graham cracker crust
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- * Lemon twists for garnish
- 1 1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
- 5 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, juice, egg yolks and milk in heavy saucepan
- Cook over medium heat until thickened
- Stir in butter
- Cool mixture to room temperature
- Add in sour cream
- Pour into Graham Cracker Crust
- Top with Whipped Cream
- Garnish with lemon twists
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Pour the crumbs into a pie plate
- Use your measuring cup to press crumbs into bottom and sides of pie plate
- Bake at 325 until the crust begins to brown - about 15-20 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Store in refrigerator
Continue your Pie celebration with these pies:
10 Minute Creamy Chocolate Icebox Pie from Foodie with Family
Key Lime Pie from Your Homebased Mom
French Silk Pie from Shugary Sweets
Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Pie from A Family Feast
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!