Sour Cream Lemon Pie is a little piece of heaven on a plate. The pie starts with a graham cracker crust that is topped with a delicious lemon sour cream layer and then topped with whipped cream.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
This easy sour cream lemon pie is full of tangy flavor from both the lemon and the sour cream. And the creamy consistency is nothing short of heavenly. Every time I have a slice I am reminded just how good it is.
- Graham cracker crust. Use a store bought one but a homemade one is so much better and so easy to make. Follow the recipe here.
- Sugar. Granulated sugar.
- Lemon. You will use the zest and the juice
- Eggs. You will only be using the yolks
- Milk. I use what I have on hand, usually 2 percent.
- Butter. Salted butter is what I use. If using unsalted butter, add in a pinch of salt.
- Sour Cream. I prefer a full fat sour cream. You can also use plain Green Yogurt.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
How to Make A Sour Cream Lemon Pie
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, juice, egg yolks and milk in heavy saucepan and cook over medium high heat until thickened.
- Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature.
- Add in sour cream and pour into graham cracker crust.
- Whip cream and top pie with it.
- Garnish with lemon twists or thinly sliced lemons.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Allow a few hours for pie to set up.
Tips from leigh Anne
- Curry Powder: If you don’t have yellow curry powder, you can make your own: 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1½ teaspoons ground cumin, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Spice Level: This curry is sweet. If you want a spicier curry add in some red pepper flakes.
- Vegetables. Vegetables such as carrots, red bell peppers, potatoes or sweet potatoes are good choices. Be sure and dice them up into small pieces. Add them in with the chicken. After you add in the tomatoes and coconut milk, simmer until the vegetables are the desired tenderness
Frequently Asked Questions
The pie will last for 3-4 days stored in the refrigerator. I recommend keeping it covered to prevent the whipped cream from drying out.
If you need to save yourself some time, a store bought graham cracker crust or pastry crust will work just fine!
I don’t recommend it, real whipping cream is less sweet and is a better compliment to the lemon.
This pie is so delicious and the combination of lemon and sour cream give it the perfect lemon flavor. Not too tart, just enough sweet.
Check out more of my favorite pie recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Sour Lemon Cream Pie
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch plus 1-1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- * Lemon twists for garnish
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, juice, egg yolks and milk in heavy saucepan
- Cook over medium heat until thickened. Stir in butter
- Cool mixture to room temperature and add in sour cream
- Pour into Graham Cracker Crust
- Top with Whipped Cream and garnish as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Graham cracker crust
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar with a fork
- Pour the crumbs into a pie plate
- Use your measuring cup to press crumbs into bottom and sides of pie plate
- Bake at 325 until the crust begins to brown – about 15-20 minutes
- Allow to cool and keep stored in refrigeator
Tips & Notes:
- If you prefer, you can use a pastry crust instead of a graham cracker crust. Use my recipe for the perfect pie crust found here.
- If using a graham cracker curst, use your measuring cup to press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of the pie pan to get a nice smooth, even crust!