Welcome Jen of Yummy Healthy Easy to the blog. I got to meet Jen at Blogher Food earlier this year and she was so sweet to let me hang out a bit with her and a few other fun bloggers!! Her blog name tells you exactly what she is about – yummy, healthy and easy! Please be sure and visit her and check out all her yummy recipes and enter to win a Blendtec Blender and then check out what Mique andCindy are sharing as part of the Craft and Sew!
Hi everyone! I’m Jen from the food blog Yummy Healthy Easy. I’m super excited to be here at Your Homebased Mom today celebrating the 2014 Handmade Holiday Series!
But first, a little about me: I live in beautiful Southern California with my husband and our four wild and crazy boys. My favorite color is red, I’m obsessed with Diet Coke and The Walking Dead and I’m not a morning person. 🙂 I’m all about healthier budget-friendly, family-friendly & easy dishes, but I also enjoy sharing yummy desserts, too! Thanks for having me today!
So, Christmas. Can you even believe it?! It’s absolutely crazy to me how quick it snuck up. One of my favorite things to do during the holiday season, is bake treats and give them to friends, nieghbors and teachers.
I love making cookie plates full of a variety of different cookies. These homemade Oreo’s are unique and they’re super simple. The cookies are made from a cake mix! It really doesn’t get any simpler than that! No measuring sugar and flour, just dump the mix in and add a few simple ingredients. I love how they crinkle after they’re baked. They’re soft, chewy and delicious.
Add in a middle of creamy peppermint frosting, and you have yourself an easy (and totally cute) cookie sandwich that’s the perfect addition to your holiday cookie plates! Your friends, neighbors and kids’ teachers will love you!
Now it’s prize time!! Head on over to my blog, Yummy Healthy Easy to enter to win a Blendtec Blender ($650 value!!)
Homemade Peppermint Oreos:
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (could use butter or shortening instead if desired)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla until combined. (If batter is too dry, add some water 1/2 teaspoon at a time).
- Roll batter into 1″ balls and place on cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. They might look doughy but they will be perfect when they cool!
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, milk, and peppermint extract in a small bowl with a blender. Add in about 1/8 cup (1 crushed candy cane and fold into frosting.
- Spread filling on one cookie then top with another. Option: Roll sides of frosting in extra crushed candy cane for serving. Enjoy! (makes about 12-15 cookie sandwiches depending on how large you make your cookies. It’s easily doubled, too).
Check out these other great cookie recipes from Yummy Healthy Easy:
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.