This easy Chile Relleno Casserole is the perfect make ahead breakfast or dinner idea. Prep it the night before and enjoy it in the morning.
Check out more family favorite breakfast casseroles including this Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole , Green Chili Egg Casserole and another great Overnight Breakfast Casserole
This is a family recipe we have been enjoying for years and it came from my Aunt Dottie. While she and her husband were in college, they managed a ranch and Aunt Dottie was the ranch cook. This was a popular breakfast dish. It is a great holiday make a head meal.
What is a Chile Relleno?
This dish is not a traditional chile relleno dish which is a chile stuffed with cheese and coated in an egg batter and fried.
We are using the same ingredients but putting them into a casserole form. Instead of whole peppers we are used diced peppers.
Green Chili Egg Casserole
In addition to eggs, milk, cheese and green chilies, a key ingredient is Bisquick. Thanks to Bisquick you can mix up the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning. If you live where Bisquick is not available you can use this substitute recipe.
How to Make a Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole
- Layer Sprinkle half the grated cheese on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Add half the green chilies on top of the cheese.
- Repeat the process adding another layer of cheese and then chiles.
- Mix. Combine together milk, egg and Bisquick and pour over top of cheese mixture in pan.
Refrigerate. At this point it can be covered with foil and put in the refrigerator overnight. It can also be baked immediately if you prefer.
Bake. In the morning, remove from the oven and bake in a 350 degree F oven for one hour.
- Garnish with diced jalapeno pepper if desired.
Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Chile Relleno Casserole
- 8 oz chopped green chilies
- 3 cups grated cheese half cheddar and half Monterey Jack
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Bisquick
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Layer 1/2 of chilies and cheese in pan.
- Mix together eggs, milk, salt and Bisquick
- Pour over top of chilies and cheese.
- Can be covered with foil and stored in the refrigerator over night.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Leave a Review