Yesterday was Hannah’s 20th birthday. Hannah is my 3rd daughter. Hannah and Cali have been best friends and have lived next door to each other since they were 3 years old.
You may remember the post I did on the girls when they graduated from high school.
I told Hannah I would make her a birthday cake to celebrate. When I asked her what flavor cake she wanted, she didn’t hesitate, the answer was chocolate!
So today’s Eat Cake recipe is for what I consider the BEST chocolate cake.
We invited some of the other neighbors over to help us Eat Cake and celebrate Hannah’s birthday. If all the oohing and aahing that came from the crowd as they ate this chocolate cake was any indication, I think we’ve got a winner!
I don’t make chocolate cake very often because if I am going to choose the flavor of cake it usually ends up being lemon but I have to say if you are going to eat chocolate cake – it should be this one!
It starts with a Devil Food’s cake mix but then is doctored up with some chocolate pudding and sour cream.
And did I mention it also has chocolate chips in it?!!!
And just to top it off sprinkle a little chopped chocolate on top! Perfection!
Note: Don’t forget – this week I am looking for your best cake recipes. Send me an email or leave the link or recipe in the comments! Thanks!
The BEST Chocolate Cake
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 C canola oil
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 C butter
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bow mix together all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour batter into a buttered and floured cake pan
- I used two 9-inch pie pans
- For cooking time, use the cooking times on the back of the cake box as a guide and add about 10 minutes to that. Check for doneness using a tooth pick.)
- In a mixer cream butter until fluffy
- Add sugar and continue creaming until well blended
- Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream
- Blend on low speed until moistened. and then beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!