After a few spring like days here in Portland I have a definite case of Spring Fever. And with Spring Fever comes a longing for lemons. Lemons and Spring just go together and so do lemons and blueberries – yum!! But a lemon blueberry muffin? Even better!
Today’s muffin is a result of my brief case of Spring Fever (Spring has now left the NW and the gray skies and rains are back)
I played around with this muffin recipe a few times to get the texture just right. The first attempt was just a little too dense but the second one was just right. The addition of some oil to the batter makes for a lighter, moister muffin.
And I have to say I think they were just darn pretty so I got a little carried away with my camera and picture taking.
The addition of a little nutmeg and lemon zest into the batter gives the muffin a wonderful flavor and then it is topped off with a lemon glaze. And of course those blueberries don’t hurt either!
- 1½ C flour
- ¾ C sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅓ c milk
- 1 C fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ C powdered sugar
- Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 20 minutes
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest
- In another bowl mix together oil, egg and milk
- Add liquid into flour mixture and mix until just combined
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Fill lined or greased muffin tins
- Bake and cool
- When muffins are almost totally cooled, just slightly warm drizzle with glaze
- Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar together until a good consistency to drizzle with
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!