After a long drive we have arrived in Provo, Utah. Cali is moved into her dorm and we are enjoying our last couple of days with her visiting some of our favorite spots in town.
Before we left home I made my list of BYU/Provo favorites. All the places I love to visit, shop and eat at while in Provo.
Always on the top of my list of BYU/Provo favorites is visiting the BYU Bookstore and having a BYU Brownie. I’m not sure that’s what they call them but it’s what we call them at our house.
A BYU Brownie is a chocolaty, chewy brownie with a layer of mint green frosting covered by another layer of chocolate frosting – yum!
My first stop on campus today, on the way to spend a fortune on college textbooks, was to purchase my BYU Brownie. I had planned on taking a picture of it to share with you but somehow it disappeared before I could get the picture taken!
Since I don’t like having to wait until my next visit to BYU to enjoy a BYU Brownie I googled it and found a recipe for BYU Mint Brownies in the BYU Alumni Magazine. They’re great.
In fact, my younger daughter, after eating part of the brownie I bought today, announced she thought the ones we made were better.
For me, the best part of the brownie is the frosting and I love the combination of the mint and the chocolate together.
So in preparation for our trip to BYU I made a batch of BYU Brownies last week. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do and GO COUGARS! (We’re off to the opening season game of BYU football game on Saturday!)
I did manage to get a picture taken of the ones I made before they disappeared!
- 1 C butter
- 1/2 C cocoa
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 C sugar
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C chopped walnuts (I left these out)
- 12 oz. chocolate icing (I used the recipe for the mint icing below but just added about 1/3 C of cocoa and left out the mint extract and green food coloring)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- dash of salt
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 1/3 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. mint extract
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
- Melt butter and mix in cocoa
- Allow to cool
- Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt
- Mix well
- Add nuts
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- Prepare mint icing
- Soften butter
- Add salt, corn syrup and powdered sugar
- Beat until smooth and fluffy
- Add mint extract and green food coloring
- Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting
- Spread mint icing over brownies
- Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing
- Remove from the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate icing