We’ve got a cul de sac BBQ planned for after church this Sunday for theFourth of July – how about you? After that we’ll head down to the Oak Hills neighborhood for their fireworks display.
If you are planning a BBQ or party for the weekend and need a fun, patriotic dessert you might want to make Patriotic Pizza. This is actually a recipe I shared two years ago – Strawberry Pizza. It is one of our family’s favorite desserts to make during strawberry season so I decided it was worthy of a repeat. I changed it up a little bit to make it more patriotic - I added blueberries!
It has a cookie base with a layer of sweetened cream cheese. Top that with a strawberry glaze and then fresh strawberries and blueberries and you are ready to celebrate.
You can cut it into squares or triangles, just like a pizza if you’d like. I found these cute patriotic plates at Target and decided they were the perfect thing to serve it on.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, mashed
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 8 - 10 strawberries sliced.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and butter
- Form into a ball with hands and press into a 14 inch ungreased pizza pan (I used my Pampered Chef pizza stone)
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice
- Spread on cooled crust
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries, sugar and cornstarch
- Simmer until thick and glossy
- It will turn from cloudy to clear. Cool
- Spread on top of cream cheese filling
- Cut fresh strawberries crosswise to make rounds that resemble pepperoni, place on pizza and serve