These chocolate sandwich cookies are light and chocolately and so fun to eat.
No holiday cookie plate would be complete without some type of chocolate cookie. Don’t you agree?
So how about a chocolate sandwich cookie? The one thing I don’t like about sandwich cookies is that when you eat one cookie – you are really eating two cookies. But you only get the enjoyment of eating one cookie. Make sense!?
So when I make sandwich cookies I make them small. They are almost bite size – really two bites. That way I can actually eat two of them and not feel like I’ve eaten four cookies!
I love these cookies – and let’s just say I ate more than two (that would actually be more than four since they are two cookies in one.)
The dough needs to be refrigerated or frozen before baking so plan ahead.
The dough is then sliced into 1/4 inch slices.
After baking they filled with a lovely chocolate frosting. There is sour cream in the frosting which gives it a nice smooth texture.
This recipe was slightly adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies. There is a reason why it is in there – it’s a BEST cookie!!
- 1 C flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 6 oz milk chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- ½ C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ C sour cream
- 1½ C powdered sugar
- In a small pan heat and stir chocolate over low heat until melted or melt slowly in microwave.
- In a medium bowl beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add in melted chocolate, egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough into two portions and wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 20-30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to handle.
- Can also chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll each portion into a log - about 12 inches long.
- Rewrap and freeze again for 10 minutes.
- Cut rolls into ¼ inch slices and place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until edges are set.
- Cool on sheet and then transfer to wire rack.
- In a medium pan combine milk chocolate chips and butter and heat, stir over low until melted. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Spread frosting on the bottom side of one cookie. Top with remaining cookie.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!