Look what I picked from my garden yesterday morning.
A basket full of these lovelies.
Underneath there is a nice layer of cherry tomatoes. My husband loves to just pop them right in his mouth but my favorite thing to do with them is roast them. It makes them so sweet, just like candy.
To roast a cherry tomato just slice it in half and place it in a baking dish cut side up.
Drizzle with some olive oil and then sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and some dried basil (or fresh if you have it!)
Then pop them in a 225 oven for about 3 hours or until they look just about like this.
You don’t want them totally dried up – there should still be some moisture in them.
They are great added into a salad, on pizza, in soup or the way I like best is in pasta.
This is what we had for Sunday dinner this week. I combined them with some roasted garlic, pine nuts, grilled chicken and grilled zucchini, penne pasta, fresh basil and parmesan cheese for a light and delicious dinner.
First, I roasted a head of garlic. For directions on how to roast garlic check out this post. I also marinaded a chicken breast (we only need one with our reduced size family) in some olive oil, kosher salt and fresh lemon juice for about an hour in the refrigerator and then grilled it. After it cooled I sliced it up.
I also grilled a fresh zucchini. I just sliced it in half, drizzled it with a little olive oil and kosher salt and then grilled it until it softened up a bit and had those nice grill marks.
Next, I just put some olive oil in a pan and then added in some pine nuts and stirred until the nuts began to brown and get a little toasted. I then squeezed in the whole head of roasted garlic, added in the tomatoes, sliced up chicken and zucchini, a little salt and some fresh basil. Just stir it all together until the flavors combined.
I then added in the cooked penne pasta and mixed it all up, if it seems a little dry, add in some more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Give it a nice sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese to finish it off. Delicious!
If you don’t like or have zucchini you could really add in any vegetable you have on hand. I think some roasted asparagus would be lovely too.
The recipe is a great way to use up some of those tomatoes that all seem to come ripe at one time!
I know the portions aren’t really exact in this recipe but it is just that kind of recipe. I just made it up as I went along – make as little or as much as you need. It’s all good! This recipe made enough for two with leftovers.
- Olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ C fresh basil, sliced (save some to garnish top of pasta)
- 1 C roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Grilled chicken breast, sliced
- 1 Grilled zucchini, sliced
- ¼ C pine nuts
- 1 head roasted garlic
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Cooked penne pasta (I used about ⅓ of a 1 lb. box. It fed both of us with some leftovers for lunch)
- Slice tomatoes in half and place in baking dish cut side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and sprinkle with dried or fresh basil.
- Place in 225 degree oven for about 3 hours or until shriveled but should still have some moisture.
- Slice the top off the head of garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake in 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until garlic is soft.
- Place chicken in bowl or plastic bag and cover with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and squeeze the juice of one lemon over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Grill chicken and cut up.
- Slice zucchini in half.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill until softened and it has nice grill marks.
- Slice into bite size pieces.
- In a large frying pan add several tablespoons of olive oil and pine nuts.
- Stir until pine nuts begin to brown.
- Squeeze the garlic out of the skin directly into the pan.
- Add in tomatoes, sliced chicken, sliced zucchini and fresh basil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in more olive oil if it seems dry.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Serve and enjoy