Jerk Chicken has the perfect well rounded balance and flavor of sweet, tang and heat.
I always thought the name Jerk Chicken was a little unusual and always wondered why they called it Jerk? After a little bit of googling I discovered it’s not named Jerk because it’s not a nice guy. Jerk Chicken is a style of cooking found in Jamaica. Jerk comes from a Spanish word that means dried meat. It also gets it’s name because they poke the meat (jerking) to get it to absorb more flavor.
Freezer Chicken Marinade
One of my favorite kind of freezer meal is to just put some meat and a marinade into a freezer bag and then freeze. All you have to do is thaw, grill and add some fresh veggies and you have a delicious and healthy meal. Today’s recipe would be perfect for this. The chicken marinade is made by blending together all kinds of amazing flavors including jalapeno, scallions, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, garlic, thyme and cinnamon. Pretty much a flavor explosion!
The chicken is marinaded in all that flavor for a few hours up to a couple of days. At least 24 hours is best but I only did it for about 5 hours and it was delicious.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but you could use whatever part of the chicken you like best and I’m it will work great. And this marinade is great for grilled, baked, or broiled chicken.
Other favorite chicken marinades:
- Lemon Herb Chicken Marinade
- Chicken Tostadas with favorite marinade
- Grilled Chicken with Yogurt Sauce
Jerk Chicken Recipe
- 2 scallions
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boness
- In a food processor or blender purée all the ingredients except for the chicken.
- Place chicken and marinade into a zippered plastic bag and refrigerate for 24 hours up to 2 days. (I did mine for about 5 hours)
- Grill chicken until cooked through or bake or broil in the oven.