Never say never.
In my brown sugar cupcake post I told you that I had promised Cali there would be no more cupcakes this summer – well I lied! I will admit, after all that wedding cupcake baking we did get a little burned out on cupcakes at our house.
But when a friend shared her CSA box with us and it was full of zucchini and two of you shared the same zucchini cupcake recipe with me I knew I had to go back on my word. I also needed to make some treats for a funeral dinner so it was the perfect opportunity to try the new recipe. The fact that the zucchini cupcakes had caramel frosting on them sealed the deal!
Thanks to Tauna and Kathy who both sent me the same recipe. I love it when my readers send me recipes (hint, hint)
I am not a zucchini fan but I have to say after making these zucchini cupcakes I may change my mind. Of course, the best part about this cupcake recipe is the frosting!
If you have an aversion to green like my friend Sherra please don’t let that stop you from trying these cupcakes! They are so good!
I do think though that one of these cupcakes should definitely count as one of your daily servings of fruits and vegetables!!
So if you are being over run with zucchini in your garden or your neighbors have some to share give these cupcakes a try – even if you have to go to the store and buy zucchini!!
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2-1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1-1/2 C shredded zucchini
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C butter or margarine
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 C confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar. oil, orange juice and extract
- Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well
- Add zucchini and mix well
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until they test done
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove to wire rack
- For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil
- over medium heat.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla
- Cool to lukewarm
- Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency
- Frost cupcakes
- Yields 1-1/2 to 2 dozen
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!