Use your favorite flavor of jam to make these jam diaganols.
There are only 10 more days until Valentine’s Day. Now that I have my Hugs and Kisses Banner made I am in the Valentine mood!
So from now until Valentine’s Day I will be sharing “Sweet Treats”. Treats you can make to give away to friends, family or neighbors to let them know you love them or you could just enjoy them yourself! Don’t be looking for anything too healthy or nutritious – sorry!!
The first “Sweet Treat” I have to share is some yummy Jam Diagonals. I first had this cookie at a luncheon I attended in December. I was helping in the kitchen where the food was and after I ate one of these cookies I decided I just needed to stay right there in the kitchen – within easy reach of the Jam Diagonals. Let’s just say I ate more than my fair share!
Fortunately I knew the wonderful cook, Hope, who had brought the cookies and I asked for the recipe right away.
I have made them several times and each time they have never made it off the cookie sheet except to go straight into someones mouth!
Tip: The first time I made them I freaked out a bit by how dry and crumbly the dough was. I decided to add an egg yolk in to help bind things together but Hope assured me I didn’t need to do that – I just needed to mix the dough up a bit more and it would bind together.
I used some homemade raspberry jam I had but you could use your favorite flavor – strawberry, peach, apricot etc. For Valentine’s Day a red colored jam is perfect.
They are a pretty, dainty little cookie and believe me you are going to eat more than one! They would make a lovely little tea cookie too! Sweet Treats!
Sweet Treats – Jam Diagonals
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1/3 C raspberry jam
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until creamy and fluffy
- Gradually stir in flour until blended. Divide dough into fourths.
- On lightly floured surface, with hands, roll each fourth into a 9" rope.
- Place 3" apart on greased cookie sheet.
- With finger make 1/2" depression down center of each rope.
- (Ropes will flatten to about 1" wide strips).
- Fill depressions with jam, using a small spoon.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on cookie sheet.
- For frosting, blend powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and carefully spread over jam. As soon as frosting is set, cut diagonally.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.