Sunshine Orange Pie started with a sour orange pie recipe. But without the sour oranges, just like sunshine!
The winter gloom has arrived in the Pacific NW. That means rainy days and overcast skies. These kind of days get me dreaming about warm, sandy beaches and citrus. And this Sunshine Orange Pie hit the spot and brightened my day.
If you love a key lime pie, you are going to love this pie too! The original recipe is for a sour orange pie. I didn’t know there was such a thing as sour oranges. And we don’t have them here in the Pacific NW, so I just used regular navel oranges. Now let me tell you, there is nothing sour about this pie. It is a bit of sweet sunshine in your mouth! But if I ever stumble upon sour oranges, I will give sour orange pie a taste too.
Not only is there plenty of orange goodness in the pie, it is topped with some lovely orange flavored whipped cream. After trying it, I need to find more things to serve orange whipped cream with. It is divine.
So if you need a little sunshine in your life, this pie will do the trick!
Check out more of my best citrus pie recipes:
Orange Pie Recipe
- 20 Shortbread cookies
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 6 Tbsp orange juice concentrate thawed
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp lemon zest about 2-3 lemons
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Process cookies in food processor until finely ground.
- Add in sugar, salt and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides a 9 inch pie plate. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to flatten the crust.
- Bake the crust for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together all the ingredients until combined. Pour into cooled crust. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center jiggles slightly when shaken.
- Let cool completely and refrigerated for at least 3 hours or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Whip the cream with sugar and orange zest in mixer until peaks form. Serve on top of sliced pie.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.