Sunshine Orange Pie lives up to its name, it tastes just like sunshine should.
The winter gloom has arrived in the Pacific NW. That means rainy days and overcast skies. These kind of days get me dreaming about warm, sandy beaches and citrus. Any kind of citrus will do, a lemon, lime or an orange!
This Sunshine Orange Pie hit the spot and brightened my day even though there were clouds in the sky. If you love a key lime pie, you are going to love this pie too! I found this recipe over at Cook’s Country and they called it sour orange pie. I guess there are such things as sour oranges but you don’t find them here in the Pacific NW so I just used regular navel oranges and let me tell you, there is nothing sour about this pie. It is a bit of sweet sunshine in your mouth!
This orange pie tasted delicious and it looked even prettier on my new blue and white dishes I found at Goodwill last week.
Not only is there plenty of orange goodness in the pie, it is topped with some lovely oranged flavored whipped cream for even more orange goodness.
So whether you have sunshine or not where you live, grab a fork, close your eyes, take a bite and you will have sunshine!
Printable Recipe for Sunshine Orange Pie
- 20 Lorna Doone Shortbread cookies or 5 oz. of other cookies
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of slat
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate t hawed
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest plus 6 Tbsp juice about 2-3 lemons
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Process cookies in food processor until finely ground.
- Add in sugar, salt and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides a 9 inch pie plate. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to flatten the crust.
- Bake the crust for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together all the ingredients until combined. Pour into cooled crust. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center jiggles slightly when shaken.
- Let cool completely and refrigerated for at least 3 hours or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Whip the cream with sugar and orange zest in mixer until peaks form. Serve on top of sliced pie.
Recipe adapted from Cooks Country
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!