Quinoa Tabbouleh is the perfect salad to take to a Teacher Appreciation luncheon.
Quinoa Tabbouleh is the perfect potluck salad to make for Teacher Appreciation Week because it is delicious and it doesn’t wilt.
When my kids were in school my favorite volunteer job was being in charge of teacher appreciation. Every year we did a special luncheon for the teachers to let them know how much we loved them. We usually did a potluck of delicious salads and other treats. Taking a salad to a potluck can be a bit tricky as you need something that can sit out for a while and that will hold up and not turn into a mushy, wilted mess. Nothing worse than a wilted salad!!
Today’s recipe for Quinoa Tabbouleh is the perfect solution. It’s delicious and it doesn’t wilt. It can sit out at a potluck for several hours and still taste just as great at the end as it did at the beginning.
Tabbouleh is a traditional Mediterranean dish that is usually made with bulgur. We are big quinoa fans at our house so I decided to make it with quinoa instead but feel free to use bulgur if you prefer.
It is also traditionally made with parsley and mint and I took another creative license and used basil instead. I’m not a big fan of mint in my salad. I love the flavor of the fresh basil!
With fresh tomatoes and cucumbers this salad has lots of great texture and flavor and is the perfect way to show those teacher’s how much you appreciate them. (scroll down for recipe)
Don’t forget to enter to win $300! $300 PayPal GIVEAWAY
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juuice
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- Add quinoa and salt to water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce head to medium low and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork
- Mix together lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow quinoa to cool and then add in dressing a tablespoon at a time. Do not over dress.
- Add in tomato, cucumber, basil and green onion. Add additional dressing if needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Save the leftover dressing to use if needed after the salad has sat for a while.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.