Although taste is the most important thing when it comes to food, it sure doesn’t hurt if the food is pretty too! And with a cupcake, pretty is pretty important in my book.
Today’s cupcake is both – yummy and pretty! As you know I have been busy experimenting with lots of different cupcake recipes. In fact, in the last week and a half I have made over 16 dozen cupcakes! Now that’s a lot of cupcakes.
Don’t worry I have only eaten one of each kind – such self control. O.K. except for maybe the lemon ones! I think my neighbors are even getting sick of all the cupcakes!!
Today’s recipe was sent to me by my niece Michelle who responded to my plea for some new cupcake recipes last week. Michelle’s husband swears it is the best cake he has ever eaten and the dad of the groom whose reception I am making them for gave it two thumbs up!
The chocolate cupcake has some cinnamon in it too for another fun flavor. The frosting is made with sour cream and whipped cream so it is very light. It is flavored with the juice from the maraschino cherries. The cherry flavor is very mild and the frosting has quite a tang because of the sour cream. I wish the cherry flavor had been stronger.
Since we are expecting temperatures in the 90’s this weekend I am afraid the frosting won’t hold up to the heat so I am going to make a buttercream frosting instead. I found some natural cherry extract at Whole Foods so I will use it to add a little stronger cherry flavor to the frosting.
The cupcake is topped with a chocolate dipped maraschino cherry. Before you dip the cherry make sure it is dry or else the chocolate won’t stick. I just used some chocolate melts I had in the cupboard but there are directions below if you don’t have any.
The recipe is actually for a cake but it makes up great as a cupcake. It makes 12 cupcakes but the frosting recipe makes enough for 24 cupcakes!
This cupcake is definitely pretty enough to eat!
I’d love for you to leave a comment below and let me know what your favorite cupcake flavor combination is!
- ¾ cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- cherry frosting
- chocolate dipped cherries
- Makes 12
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease two 6x2 inch round cake pans or springform pans or line cupcake pan
- Mix 1 tsp. each flour and cocoa powder; dust pans
- Set aside
- In bowl combine ¾ cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- Set aside
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds
- Add sugar; beat until smooth and fluffy
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth
- Beat in sour cream and flour mixture
- Pour batter in pans; spread evenly
- Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan
- The time will be shorter if you are making cupcakes
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean
- Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes
- Remove from pans; cool on rack
- Use serrated knife to horizontally cut cakes in half to make 4 layers total
- Place bottom layer on plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting
- Repeat with layers
- Place top layer on cake
- Heap remaining frosting, swirling in peaks
- To serve, top with Chocolate-dipped Cherries.
- Serves 8
- In a large mixing bowl combine one 8-ounce carton sour cream, 1 cup whipping cream (already whipped-trust me, it doesn't turn out with just the cream!) 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, and 2 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Beat on medium-high until fluffy
- Drain 12 maraschino cherries with stems; pat dry with paper towels
- In small microwave-safe bowl combine ½ cup semisweet chocolate pieces and 1 tsp. shortening.
- Cook on 50% power 1 ½ to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once
- Dip cherries in chocolate; place on waxed paper until set
- Store covered, up to 24 hours.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!