At our house cake can not be eaten without ice cream. It is a rule!
When Pillsbury® sent me some of their new holiday flavored products I was excited to try out the dark chocolate cake mix. Peppermint is another one of their holiday favorites and one of my personal favorites too!
Peppermint is the perfect companion to dark chocolate in my book! I wait all year for peppermint ice cream to come out in the stores so I decided to make a peppermint ice cream dark chocolate cake roll.
Cake rolls are fairly easy to make but look so impressive! It is the perfect holiday dessert because you can make it a day or two ahead of time and just keep it in your freezer until you are ready to serve it. Get ready for a lot of oohs and aahs!!
The trick to making a cake roll is to make sure to not overbake your cake. I mixed up my cake mix according to the directions on the box and then poured it into a jelly roll pan ( 12 x 17 cookie sheet) that I had lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray. Pour in the cake batter and bake for about 10 minutes. You want to make sure it doesn’t over cook because dry cake will crack more easily when rolling up the cake roll. Use the toothpick trick.
Let it cool for 5 minutes and then spread out a cotton dish towel and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Carefully turn the cake over onto the towel. Starting at the short end roll the cake up into the towel and allow it to cool.
Let your ice cream soften and then I mixed it up in my mixer to get it nice and smooth and spreadable. After the cake roll has cooled, carefully unroll it. You may get some cracks but it will be o.k. Just spread a nice, even layer of ice cream gently on the cake. Do not go all the way to the edges as the ice cream will move out towards the edges as you roll it. Leave about 1/2 inch to 1 inch border of cake showing.
As you can see mine did crack along the top but a nice layer of dark chocolate ganache and some crushed peppermint covered that right up!!
Then wrap it in some wax paper and foil and put it back in the freezer to harden.
When you are ready to serve pull out of the freezer and drizzle with dark chocolate ganache and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
Be prepared for the oohs and aahs!
You can even drizzle more ganache over the sliced pieces and add more candy cane if you’d like. Go for it!
©/® The J.M. Smucker Company. Pillsbury is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, LLC, used under license.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mars®. The opinions and text are all mine.
For more peppermint goodness check out these:
Peppermint Ice Cream Dark Chocolate Cake Roll
- 1 Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 C water
- 1/3 C oil
- 1/2 gallon peppermint ice cream
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 C whipping cream
- candy canes crushed
- Mix cake batter according to the directions on back of box using egg, water and oil.
- Pour into a 12 x 17 jelly roll pan that has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread batter evenly.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 10 minutes. Use the toothpick test and do not overback.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Spread out a cotton dish towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Carefully turn cake upside down onto the dish towel.
- Starting from the short end roll cake up into towel and allow to coo.
- Soften ice cream and beat in a mixer to get a nice smooth consistency.
- Gently unroll cake (you may have some cracks) and gently spread an even layer of ice cream onto cake.
- Roll cake back up and place seam down.
- Wrap in wax paper and then foil and place in freezer.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and drizzle with dark chocolate ganache and sprinkle with crushed candy cane
- Place chocolate chips in bowl.
- Heat milk, just until it boils and then pour over chocolate chips.
- Stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool and thicken a bit before drizzling cake with it.
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.