Parsley Chicken quickly became a favorite at our house – the flavor is amazing!
We eat a lot of chicken at our house so I am always on the look out for new chicken recipes. The recipe for Parsley Chicken has been in my “To Try” folder for a while now.
The recipe calls for something called “za’atar”. I had no idea what it was, so when in doubt – Google!
Good old Wikipedia came to my rescue and explained that za’atar is a mixture of herbs used as a condiment with Middle Eastern origins. I stopped at two local grocery stores to try and find some but with no luck. Does anyone know where to buy za’atar?? You can get it online through Amazon or at Penzey Spices or you can make your own!
So back to Google where I found a recipe to make your own za’atar. The first ingredient it called for was sumac – I had no clue what sumac was – isn’t that a tree? It also called for thyme, oregano, marjoram and toasted sesame seeds. I had all those ingredients on hand so I mixed up a teaspoon of thyme, oregano, marjoram and a tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds and had my own version of za’atar. It has amazing flavor.
The chicken marinates in this mixture along with some garlic, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar and oil. I like to pound my chicken breast thin before marinating so that it cooks more evenly. The one on the right has been pounded, the one on the left has not. I use the smooth side of a meat tenderizer.
This seasoning combination along with the garlic and parsley was wonderful. The chicken had tons of great flavor and was a big hit. My husband is almost always complimentary about what I make for dinner but when he mentioned 2 or 3 times how much he enjoyed dinner I KNEW it was a keeper. Parsley Chicken is a new family favorite!
The leftovers (I seem to have a lot of those lately – haven’t adjusted to cooking for only 3 people) were quickly devoured the next day.
Parsley Chicken Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C. fresh flat leaf parsley minced
- 1 large lemon washed thoroughly
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1 tsp za'atar LA's version - 1 tsp marjoram, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano, 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Pound chicken breasts down to uniform thickness throughout (about 1-inch thickness)and place in large bowl
- Halve lemon and juice well
- Add lemon juice to bowl
- Add remaining ingredients and use tongs to coat pieces evenly
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into fridge for 30 mins - 1 hour
- Preheat grill on high
- Remove chicken from fridge and let rest until grill is up to temperature
- With tongs, move breasts around to coat evenly
- Turn grill down to medium low heat
- Place chicken breast-side-down onto grill
- Do not move meat as much as possible until finished cooking on one side, about 10 minutes depending on size of chicken.
- Flip breasts over and continue cooking until almost cooked through, about 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from grill
- Let meat rest, covered, on cutting board for 3-5 mins before slicing and serving