We’ve been enjoying some summer like days here in Portland and temperatures in the 70’s. Yes, that is summer like weather here in the Northwest!
I am so ready for these warm weather days to stay but I’m sure they won’t. I do live in the Northwest afterall. Those warm weather days always make me feel so much better and like celebrating. But even when the sun isn’t shining outside I love to bring that spring like mood into the house and celebrate anyway! Because, after all, life is too short to wait for a big reason to celebrate. Why not celebrate the little, everyday things too!
Tips for celebrating the little things:
1. Fresh flowers. Nothing says Spring or “time to celebrate” more to me than fresh flowers. Whether they are flowers I’ve cut out of the garden or an inexpensive bouquet I’ve picked up at the store I love having fresh flowers in my house. It is a sure fire way to lift my mood and bring a smile to my face.
2. Fresh food. Spring in the Northwest means the start of the local farmer’s markets and I love to shop there each week for some locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables. I also love growing them in my own garden. Being able to feed my family food that has come right from the ground or a local farm is really a reason to celebrate!
3. Favorite flavors. I am a huge fan of anything citrus flavored. Lemon, lime or orange will do. I always associate citrus flavors with spring! I’ll take lemon, lime or orange over chocolate anyday. One of my favorite warm weather flavors is orange creamsicle. Nothing better than a delicious orange creamsicle on a warm summer day.
I was so excited when I discovered that Pillsbury had added two new seasonal flavors to their line. Two of my favorites – Orangesicle and Key Lime! I decided that the Orangesicle would be the perfect thing to use for one of my favorite cookies – homemade cream filled cookies. I typically use chocolate but like I said, I’ll take citrus over chocolate any day!
Pillsbury also has orangesicle frosting to go with the cake and cookie mix so it was perfect for the filling.
I used my homemade chocolate sandwich cookie recipe that I have shared before. It uses a cake mix, shortening, eggs and and vanilla. The recipe calls for two cake mixes but since I only had one orangesicle cake mix I just split the recipe in half but used 2 eggs! By splitting the recipe in half it made about 24 cookies so I had 12 Orangesicle Sandwich Cookies.
For the cream filling I added 2 oz. of cream cheese to the frosting. Just mixing it up in my mixer. Then I just sandwiched a nice layer of the frosting between two cookies.
It makes for an easy and delicious orange flavored cookie that just screams Summer!
Now I can’t wait to try making them with the new Key Lime flavored cake mix.
What flavors say Summer to you and make you want to celebrate!
Now for the best part – Pillsbury wants you to try their new seasonal flavors. So leave a comment letting me know what your favorite summer flavor is and you can be entered to win:
One box each Summer Seasonal Cake & Cookie Mixes
Frostings (1 each of Creamy Supreme Key Lime and Creamy Supreme Orangesicle)
$50 dollar Visa or American Express gift card
Total estimated giveaway value: $60
Orangesicle Sandwich Cookies
- 1 pkgs. Pillsbury Creamsicle Cake Mix
- 3/4 C cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 container Pillsbury Orangesicle Frosting
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- Mix together all ingredients and roll into balls the size of large melon balls.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Let cool then put frosting between two cookies and stick together
- Mix together frosting and cream cheese until smooth
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.