No lemon recipe today! I am keeping it in the citrus family though and we are just moving over to oranges!
Today’s recipe is a Wilkes Family Favorite. No holiday dinner (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas) would be complete without these. In fact, no dinner that Grandma comes to is complete without them – Orange Rolls.
This is my mother’s orange roll recipe and she is the designated orange roll maker in our family except when she’s not spending the holiday with us and then I get the job.
My parents spent Easter with my brother and his family so I got to make the orange rolls. The great thing about this recipe is that you mix the dough up the night before which helps a lot in the “day of” meal preparation.
The dough is refrigerated overnight and then just rolled out 4 hours before you want to bake them. I like to bake them as close to dinner as possible because like most bread it is the best warm out of the oven!
I make the rolls like a cinnamon roll – rolling out the dough into a rectangle, covering it with the lovely, buttery, sugary, orangey spread, rolling them up and then cutting them into circles using dental floss. I bake them in a muffin tin. You can make them like a crescent roll too! Get creative!
Aren’t they beautiful!
Wouldn’t you like one!? But wait – it gets even better! After they are baked you ice them with a mixture of orange juice and powdered sugar. Even better!!
At this point they taste a little bit more like dessert! Who doesn’t like dessert with their dinner?
Believe it or not one of my children doesn’t like the orange flavoring so grandma always makes a pan of rolls with no orange rind or juice in it – just for Clark! Since Clark was still away at college on Easter I made ALL of our rolls with orange!
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 C warm water
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C shortening
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 C hot water
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 4 1/2 C flour
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/3 C butter
- Zest of a large orange
- juice and zest of an orange
- powdered sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 C shortening, 2 tsp salt into hot water and stir to dissolve. Cool.
- Mix eggs and 1 cup flour well and add to sugar mixture.
- Add yeast mixture and remaining flour.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 4 hours before serving roll out like cinnamon rolls and spread with 1/3 C sugar, orange zest and 1/3 C butter.
- Roll up dough and slice about 1 inch thick.
- Put in greased muffin tins and let rise 3-4 hours. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
- Combine juice of an orange, zest from orange and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze that you can spread or drizzle over the top of the rolls.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!